She might be pigeonholed ‘Mary Jane’ for a couple of years thanks to her commercial turn in “Spider-Man” and it’s upcoming sequel, but Kirsten Dunst is well and truly on her way to becoming quite an actress. According to the trades today, she’s in talks with Director Curtis Hanson to play a 19-year-old prostitute in a powerful new drama set in the 60’s.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Hanson is in final negotiations to develop and direct Columbia Pictures’ big-screen adaptation of Michael Faber’s novel "The Crimson Petal and the White" for producer Laura Ziskin. The project is being developed as a starring vehicle for Dunst, but no deal is in place with the actress. Set in London during the 1860s, the story centers on a 19-year-old prostitute named Sugar. Her yearning for a better life begins to become a reality when she finds herself the secret mistress of a member of a powerful London family.
"Even though it’s a Victorian novel, it has a contemporary sensibility," Ziskin said. "It’s about a woman who is in many ways ahead of her time. It’s a very surprising, very triumphant and very sexy story." No writer has yet come on board to adapt the novel, but a scribe is expected shortly and will work closely with Hanson to develop the script.
- Jeremy London, Ethan Suplee returning for Mallrats 2 - March 28, 2015
- Dorff gets a badge for Texas Chainsaw prequel - March 28, 2015
- Another ’90s TV Hit returning! - March 28, 2015
- Super Troopers 2 director answers those lingering questions! - March 28, 2015
- Blade Runner actress nixed from sequel? - March 28, 2015
- Transformers sequels, spin offs in the works - March 28, 2015
- Seinfeld fave in talks for Force Majeure remake - March 28, 2015
- Beauty and the Beast finds it’s Garderobe - March 28, 2015
- First look at Patrick Stewart in Blunt Talk - March 28, 2015
- Cast announced for School of Rock TV series - March 28, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.