Sounds like Lucy Liu’s becoming sort of a female equivalent to Jackie Chan. Meantime, she’ll have to settle for Charlie Chan. MTV got talking to the former “Ally McBeal” star about her plans for resurrecting Charlie Chan.
"[I’m going to be playing] Charlie Chan’s granddaughter, who’s also named Charlie," Liu says. "So she’s going to be the next Charlie Chan."
Created by Ohio author Earl Derr Biggers, Chan was a detective who always found himself solving murder cases in exotic places despite the bumbling efforts of a son (or two) who would comically interfere while trying to help. Liu has enlisted X2: X-Men United screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris to help her reinvent Chan for the 21st century. "I’m sure it’s going to be a commercial film," Liu added. "I don’t think it’s going to be something that’s an alternative version of Charlie Chan. I’d like to bring a dark edge to it, if that’s possible, but we have to see. I just want people to enjoy and appreciate it."
The film’s in early stages of development at Twentieth Century Fox.
Thanks to Coming Soon.
- Jeremy London, Ethan Suplee returning for Mallrats 2 - March 28, 2015
- Dorff gets a badge for Texas Chainsaw prequel - March 28, 2015
- Another ’90s TV Hit returning! - March 28, 2015
- Super Troopers 2 director answers those lingering questions! - March 28, 2015
- Blade Runner actress nixed from sequel? - March 28, 2015
- Transformers sequels, spin offs in the works - March 28, 2015
- Seinfeld fave in talks for Force Majeure remake - March 28, 2015
- Beauty and the Beast finds it’s Garderobe - March 28, 2015
- First look at Patrick Stewart in Blunt Talk - March 28, 2015
- Cast announced for School of Rock TV series - March 28, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.