Sounds like Lucy Liu’s becoming sort of a female equivalent to Jackie Chan. Meantime, she’ll have to settle for Charlie Chan. MTV got talking to the former “Ally McBeal” star about her plans for resurrecting Charlie Chan.
"[I’m going to be playing] Charlie Chan’s granddaughter, who’s also named Charlie," Liu says. "So she’s going to be the next Charlie Chan."
Created by Ohio author Earl Derr Biggers, Chan was a detective who always found himself solving murder cases in exotic places despite the bumbling efforts of a son (or two) who would comically interfere while trying to help. Liu has enlisted X2: X-Men United screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris to help her reinvent Chan for the 21st century. "I’m sure it’s going to be a commercial film," Liu added. "I don’t think it’s going to be something that’s an alternative version of Charlie Chan. I’d like to bring a dark edge to it, if that’s possible, but we have to see. I just want people to enjoy and appreciate it."
The film’s in early stages of development at Twentieth Century Fox.
Thanks to Coming Soon.
- Superbowl Spot : Insurgent - January 31, 2015
- The CW releases another iZombie promo - January 31, 2015
- Deepwater Horizon : Chandor Out, Berg In - January 31, 2015
- Cast fills for Franco’s In Dubious Battle - January 31, 2015
- Nicolas Cage’s latest lands a Hobbit - January 31, 2015
- Rose Byrne back for next X-Men - January 31, 2015
- Orphan Black star gets lead in Star Wars spin-off!? - January 31, 2015
- Leia may face a Hutt again in The Force Awakens - January 31, 2015
- Affleck, Schoenaerts are HBO’s Lewis and Clark - January 31, 2015
- Production begins on Zoo - January 31, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.