Roger Donaldson says “Papa” has bit the dust
Moviehole caught up with famed filmmaker Roger Donaldson this week, at a special screening of his new film “The Fastest Indian in the World”, and got an update on that rumoured “Papa” project that he’s supposed to be reuniting with Anthony Hopkins for.
“Papa”, which Donaldson would write and direct, would be based on Ernest Hemingway’s encounter with Denne Bart Petitclerc, America’s youngest war correspondent in the Korean War, who was inspired by how Hemingway reported on the Spanish Civil War.
Donaldson, who had been seeking financing for the film, had recently visited Hemingway’s Havana home and met Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
Unfortunately, the project is as dead as a squeaker in a cat’s gob, says Donaldson. “There’s nothing happening there. It was just an idea – and I don’t think it’s going to happen now”, says Donaldson, whose credits include “Species”, “The Getaway”, “Cocktail” and “Thirteen Days”.
Instead, says the amiable filmmaker, he’d like to make something in Australia. But he’s yet to decide what he’s going to do next.
- Creed punches into production! - January 27, 2015
- Beetlejuice 2 is really happening, says Winona Ryder - January 27, 2015
- Knock Knock who’s there? Lionsgate with 3 million bucks! - January 27, 2015
- Gobots go to the big screen!? - January 27, 2015
- Arnold vs Arnold Genisys details! - January 27, 2015
- Yep, this is the Fantastic Four costume - January 27, 2015
- NBC going with Monica Potter series - January 27, 2015
- That’s no Moon, it’s a New Moon! - January 27, 2015
- ABC commissions Chevy Chase, Beverly D’Angelo show - January 27, 2015
- Edgar Wright’s next comes complete with a Twist - January 27, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.