Movie News

Peter Jackson dumped from Hobbit movie!

Peter Jackson dumped from Hobbit movie!
Clint

New Line have removed him from the prequel


In a move that’s destined to have the Hobbits picketing, New Line is said to have shafted director Peter Jackson from “The Hobbit”.

Jackson said in a statement to TheOneRing.net that he would’ve definitely been back to direct the “Lord of the Rings” prequel, but its no longer his decision.

“Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second “LOTR prequel”, covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we’ve always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We’ve assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule”, said Jackson. “However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR ‘prequel’. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.

“Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won’t discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director. Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.
“We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien’s world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.
“This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.”

Share this story!Share on FacebookShare on TumblrShare on StumbleUponTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Pin on PinterestDigg thisBuffer this pagePrint this pageShare on LinkedIn
(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Movie News
Clint

Clint is the creator, editor and maintainer of Moviehole. Loves David Lynch, David Fincher... actually, any filmmaker by the name of David.

More in Movie News

Pee-Wee-s-Big-Adventure-pee-wee-herman-745222_780_443

On This Day : Pee Wee’s Big Adventure

Colin MooreAug 2, 2015
insurgent_trailer_still

VOD Views – August 2, 2015

Drew TurneyAug 2, 2015
f4interview

Exclusive : Simon Kinberg on Fantastic Four, X-Men : Apocalypse

Lisa CarrollAug 2, 2015
ianmcshane

Yes! Ian McShane heading to Game of Thrones!

ClintAug 2, 2015
NottingHill1

They’re not always awkward: celebrity interviews done right

Mandy GriffithsAug 2, 2015
"Foxcatcher" red carpet. 67th Cannes Film Festival.  Pictured: Channing Tatum Ref: SPL762624  190514   Picture by: KCS Presse / Splash News  Splash News and Pictures Los Angeles: 310-821-2666 New York: 212-619-2666 London: 870-934-2666 photodesk@splashnews.com

Channing Tatum signs Gambit deal

AshAug 2, 2015
Emily Blunt wallpaper (14)

Emily Blunt a lock for Marvel movie?

ClintAug 1, 2015
felicityjones

A Fett in Rogue One?

ClintAug 1, 2015
SOLACE

Trailer : Solace

ClintAug 1, 2015