I’m really looking forward to “Quantum of Solace” – and I can’t say that about too many movies this year. Yes, I was keen to see “The Dark Knight” – and it surpassed expectations! – and I was also intrigued – but ultimately disappointed; very disappointed – by “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull”, but there’s really only a couple of films I’d tumble down a flight of rock-hard stairs to see – and the 007 movie is probably atop of that list (just after “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” – no.1 for 2 weeks in the states? WTF?! When did taste leave the building?).
The BBC has just posted their review of the upcoming “Solace” and word is – it’s a lot of fun. That’s their opinion though…. a couple of other UK outlets weren’t as impressed.
But first, here’s what the BBC has to say…
In short, here’s the gist :
- its about half-an-hour shorter than “Casino Royale”, so is a lot tighter a ride.
- There are odd moments of uncertainty when the film tries to juggle Bond’s personal story with whatever the bad guy’s are up to
- There are nods to Bond classic “Goldfinger”
- Like “Royale”, it’s a very Raw Bond film – no gizmos or gadgets
- It’s a very bleak film, a’la “Empire Strikes Back”
- Olga Kurylenko, who plays a refreshingly different kind of female companion, does well as the Bond Girl
- Gemma Arterton is superb in her brief role as an agent whom Bond encounters in Bolivia
The review is here
The Guardian weren’t as happy with the film with the reviewer stating that it wasn’t as exciting a film as “Casino Royale”.
â€˜’I was disappointed there was so little dialogue, flirtation and characterisation in this Bond: Forster and his writers Paul Haggis, Neal Purvis and Robert Wade clearly thought this sort of sissy nonsense has to be cut out in favour of explosions. Well, perhaps that is what Bond fans want (not this Bond fan, though). But I was also baffled that relatively little was made of the deliciously villainous Amalric: especially the final encounter.”
The full review from The Guardian is here
The Telegraph agrees that it lacks the narrative drive of the first film but stresses that it’ll still please – if only because of how good Craig is and how well staged the action sequences are.
â€˜’So, if Quantum of Solace lacks Casino Royale’s narrative drive, and is less than the sum of its parts, those parts are often terrific. See it for them, and see it for Craig’s fully-formed Bond: angry, icily unsentimental, and fleetingly borderline psychotic at the close.”
Their full review is here.
All-in-all, sounds like the film isn’t quite as good as “Casino Royale” but is still a good sequel… and far from a wet dog.
- Trailer : It Follows - December 20, 2014
- Trailer : Kill Me Three Times - December 20, 2014
- The Interview sh*storm still spins - December 20, 2014
- Interview promo suggests Christmas day release still on!? - December 19, 2014
- Trailer : True Story - December 19, 2014
- Walt’s got the next Chipmunks sequel - December 19, 2014
- Team America plan f*cked, yeah! - December 19, 2014
- Trailer : A Little Chaos - December 19, 2014
- Trailer : Ana Maria in Novela Land - December 19, 2014
- Trailer : American Sniper - December 19, 2014
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.