Remember those rumours suggesting Matt Damon has been approached to play Captain Kirk in J.J Abrams’ “Star Trek” reboot?
They were as true as my love for Cotton Candy!
Director Abrams tells Life that the Good Will Hunter was indeed approached about playing the Enterprise Captain.
”I actually approached Matt and we had some discussions, but everything happens for a reason”, Abrams tells the site. “On the one hand, it would have been great to work with Matt — but at the end of the day, it was such a better move to cast the movie with unknowns. Not because it is fun to discover the stars of tomorrow, but even more so, just like with the first STAR WARS, you didn’t know who those people were when you saw the movie. You believed that guy was Luke Skywalker. You didn’t recognize him from six other movies. You bought into who this guy was. It is a slippery slope when you cast any actor that is somewhat known. What is the cut off point? If you cast half famous faces and half unknown, it can throw an audience — but this way, we weren’t beholden to any fame meter.”
I have to agree. It’s like when it was suggested Tom Cruise was going to play Captain Pike in the film. Though only a small part, it works much better with Bruce Greenwood (who, though recognizable, isn’t half the ‘movie-star’ Cruise is) in that role.
- Set Visit : American Horror Story : Coven - October 18, 2014
- Richard Wenk – The Equalizer - October 2, 2014
- Moviehole chats to Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk - October 2, 2014
- Talking to Expendables 3 writing duo Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt! - August 16, 2014
- Adam Saunders – About Alex - August 7, 2014
- Nicole Perlman – Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
- MH talks to Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer Nicole Perlman! - August 1, 2014
- Lisa’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Review : it’s got everything and the everything works! - July 31, 2014
- Life Itself - July 5, 2014
- The Last Sentence - June 24, 2014