Remakes, Remakes, Remakes!.. Jesus! Make it Stop!
Classic David Cronenberg flick “Videodrome” is getting the do-over treatment thanks to Universal and writer Ehren Kruger (“Scream 3″), says Variety.
The producers tracked down the rights to Canadian distribution vet Rene Malo, who will be exec producer. Universal distributed the original and had first refusal on a remake, and the studio snapped up the opportunity.
The original “Videodrome” starred James Woods as the head of Civic TV Channel 83, who makes his station relevant by programming “Videodrome,” a series that depicts torture and murder that transfixes viewers.
The new picture will modernize the concept, infuse it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller.
If I recall correctly, another Cronenberg classic, “The Fly”, was being remade a year or so back – I believe Todd Lincoln was one of the writers – but as far as I know the project met with a can of BeGone. I didn’t mind the idea of that being remade – because it’s already been done a couple of times, and for that matter, wasn’t a Cronenberg-creation. “Videodrome” though? I personally think the original still plays pretty well; seems like a waste of time… especially since the template has been xeroxed several times since (most recently for the Eddie Furlong flick, “Cruel World”).
- Chris Morgan – Furious 7 - April 2, 2015
- Graham Moore – The Imitation Game - February 7, 2015
- Set Visit : American Horror Story : Coven - October 18, 2014
- Richard Wenk – The Equalizer - October 2, 2014
- Moviehole chats to Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk - October 2, 2014
- Talking to Expendables 3 writing duo Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt! - August 16, 2014
- Adam Saunders – About Alex - August 7, 2014
- Nicole Perlman – Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
- MH talks to Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer Nicole Perlman! - August 1, 2014
- Lisa’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Review : it’s got everything and the everything works! - July 31, 2014