The cast for “Thor” is starting to fall into place this week, with Tom Hiddleston (TVs “Walllander”, “Conspiracy”) tapped to play Loki, the mischievous foe of the god of thunder.
Marvel announced yesterday the appointment of Chris Hemsworth (“Star Trek”, the upcoming “Red Dawn” remake) as the hammer-wielding superhero.
Nicknamed the god of lies and mischief, Loki uses his talents at sorcery to try to kill Thor, his more powerful brother, whom he resents.
“Thor” director Kenneth Branagh (who may himself play a role in the movie – though that hasn’t been confirmed) worked with Hiddleston on the BBC Mini-Series “Walllander”. Hiddleston also had a small role in the Branagh-headlined mini-series “Conspiracy”.
Interestingly enough, a much bigger name was once touted for the role of Loki – that of “Pearl Harbor” and “30 Days of Night” star Josh Hartnett.
According to Marvel though, they wanted to cast “Thor” with unknowns (as opposed to the A-list names they’ve rounded up for their other projects) to help audience ease into the property and get to know the characters.
Variety has the story…
- Chris Morgan – Furious 7 - April 2, 2015
- Graham Moore – The Imitation Game - February 7, 2015
- Set Visit : American Horror Story : Coven - October 18, 2014
- Richard Wenk – The Equalizer - October 2, 2014
- Moviehole chats to Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk - October 2, 2014
- Talking to Expendables 3 writing duo Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt! - August 16, 2014
- Adam Saunders – About Alex - August 7, 2014
- Nicole Perlman – Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
- MH talks to Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer Nicole Perlman! - August 1, 2014
- Lisa’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Review : it’s got everything and the everything works! - July 31, 2014