Platinum Dunes unleashed the new burnt nâ€™ bloodied Freddy Krueger to an audience of, well, literally thousands today at Comic-Con San Diego. Unfortunately Jackie Earle Haley didnâ€™t burst of a screen â€œWes Cravenâ€™s New Nightmareâ€-style in full costume, to scare the love batter out of the mostly-male attendeesâ€¦ but there was still some fun to be had.
Warner Brosâ€™ â€œA Nightmare on Elm Streetâ€ redo had â€“ heck, has â€“ itâ€™s fare share of skeptics, and rightly so, the original Wes Craven movie is a classic, but the footage screened today may just have changed a few minds.
Shown was a stitched-together teaser trailer of sorts, featuring Freddy Krueger (Oscar Nominee Jackie Earle Haley), set alight by a gang of angry parents, who he tries to convince he hasnâ€™t done anything wrong. Bursting in flames, Freddy eventually tears off his jacket to reveal his iconic Christmas Jumper. We were then treated to â€œnightmarishâ€ scenes depicting the seemingly last moments of some of the filmâ€™s victims â€“ including one who gets to make out with a body-bag in a hallway, one who, like Tina in the original, is thrown about a bedroom (ceiling, walls etc) before succumbing to her demise. Oh, and yes, there are little girls skipping rope! The boiler room! And a pair of sharp nails scratching a wall! It was all very â€œElm Streetâ€ – – only it wasnâ€™t. Iâ€™m sure you get the drift. In fact, the only thing I came away disappointed with was the announcement that Robert â€˜the original Freddyâ€™ Englund wouldnâ€™t have a cameo in the film. Originally it was proposed that Englund would play a psychologist in the movie, but seems it didnâ€™t work out â€“ or there was a scheduling conflict â€“ so thereâ€™ll be no Freddy 1.0 in the flick.
I donâ€™t mind the idea of an uber-serious â€œElm Streetâ€ movie thatâ€™s less funny and more frightening, but I always thought the series worked best when it was a combination of both (a Wes Craven specialty) and the Samuel Bayer-directed redo seems to have rid of all the humor. Could be wrong. But thatâ€™s the impression I got from the footage today.
- Graham Moore – The Imitation Game - February 7, 2015
- Set Visit : American Horror Story : Coven - October 18, 2014
- Richard Wenk – The Equalizer - October 2, 2014
- Moviehole chats to Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk - October 2, 2014
- Talking to Expendables 3 writing duo Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt! - August 16, 2014
- Adam Saunders – About Alex - August 7, 2014
- Nicole Perlman – Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
- MH talks to Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer Nicole Perlman! - August 1, 2014
- Lisa’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Review : it’s got everything and the everything works! - July 31, 2014
- Life Itself - July 5, 2014