Kenny Ortega has exited his post as director of Paramountâ€™s â€œFootlooseâ€ remake.
The director, whose latest film â€œMichael Jackson : This Is Itâ€ opens this week, apparently wasnâ€™t happy with the direction and tone the film was taking.
“Footloose” is a remake of the 1984 drama about a newcomer (a star-making turn for Kevin Bacon) who moves to a town and rebels against its no-dance law. According to Variety, Ortega wanted to make a picture with elaborately-staged musical numbers, at a budget of $30 million or so. Paramount production chief Adam Goodman wanted an edgier drama with less emphasis on the musical numbers, and a budget around $25 million or less. Paramount has confirmed the budget dispute, but the studio said the budget will be less than $25 million.
Ortega had been working on the film since his “High School Musical” star Zac Efron was attached. The project will now star Chace Crawford (â€œGossip Girlâ€) in the lead role.
Paramount is expected to start looking for a new director tomorrow.
- Set Visit : American Horror Story : Coven - October 18, 2014
- Richard Wenk – The Equalizer - October 2, 2014
- Moviehole chats to Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk - October 2, 2014
- Talking to Expendables 3 writing duo Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt! - August 16, 2014
- Adam Saunders – About Alex - August 7, 2014
- Nicole Perlman – Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
- MH talks to Guardians of the Galaxy co-writer Nicole Perlman! - August 1, 2014
- Lisa’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Review : it’s got everything and the everything works! - July 31, 2014
- Life Itself - July 5, 2014
- The Last Sentence - June 24, 2014