It’s always difficult putting together a top ten list for the year.
I’ve been doing these lists for what, twelve years or so now (which is how long Moviehole has been running – I actually had really dark hair, no wrinkles, and got around in ‘Stussy’ when this thing first started – and I’ve always found it tougher than Renee Zellweger’s new-and-improved face to write them up… for numerous reasons :
1. There may be a lot of great films out in one given year, and it’s difficult to recognize which you enjoyed the most
2. There could be a lack of great films out in one given year (I remember 2006 being a pretty substandard year), thus finding ten films you enjoyed is not an easy task
3. In my case, I see a lot of films overseas, so I’m constantly trying to remember what came out when and where (for instance, “The Brother’s Bloom” I saw in 2008, so I’ve considered that one of last year’s films) so as not to include something that might have been technically released the year before, or scheduled to open the year after; and last but not least
4. I loathe e-arguments (my ‘F’ key is pretty worn), which is likely what’ll I get when the Twi-Hards realize “New Moon” has been left off the list, and Roy Disney doesn’t spot “Up” amongst the top ten. But strap ‘em on Drago, I’ll see you on the other side of the rope!
But for all that’s said and done, this is my list (what I liked, what I enjoyed, what I got damp over, what I recommended the ‘postie’ see with his wife) and, like a Rum-induced Burp, it feels good to get it out!
”for a film that’s been pulled and tugged more times than Paul Reubens at a Porn Theater, â€˜’Fanboys” plays nearly perfect” [Read Full Review]
”It’s probably a given that a former radio announcer like myself was always going to enjoy a film that studies the wacky early wireless activities of the LBJ-era but had I never cued a record in my life I’m almost positive I’d still go gaga for this divine flick” [Read Full Review]
“Zack Snyderâ€™s visually orgasmic film might just be the best-written, best-performed and most meaningful superhero movie ever made” [Full Review]
“District 9 is an exciting, exceedingly entertaining science-fiction thriller thatâ€™s part E.T, part Independence Day, and a little RoboCop” [Clint’s review Coming]
”If “(500) Days of Summer” were a CD, you’d love every one of its beats – the slow tune, the fast tune, the sad tune, the cheerful tune, the acoustic bonus track… the rousing instrumental!” [Full Review]
”With a heart-warming, emotion-drenched screenplay by Mottola, â€œAdventurelandâ€ is a real winner” [Full Review]
“Though she’s given us some of the most entertaining popcorn flicks of the past couple of decades, Bigelow now graduates from dessert to the main meal!” [Clint’s Review Coming]
“A watertight masterpiece. Itâ€™s truly one of the funnest and most frightening pictures in years; I personally canâ€™t recall having this much fun at the cinema. And if you donâ€™t feel the same way – you might want to pay a visit to the mortuary – you couldâ€™ve passed away in your sleep.” [Full Review]
”I don’t know whether it’s because I’d just been pink-slipped myself (The company I’d been working for for ten years had just gone into receivership, so we were all laid off. Man, what a shock to the system, thatwas! I had such an appreciation for those in the movie that were ‘let go’ and now how to figure out how they were going to support their families. Fortunately for me, I wound up at another company, but a lot of people – like those in the film – aren’t so lucky) or because it’s simply a terrific movie, but one thing’s for sure director Jason Reitman’s “Up in the Air” sure did strike a chord with me. It’s a gorgeous movie, in fact.” [Clint’s Review Coming]
Honorable Mentions : Inglourious Basterds, Zombieland, An Education, Avatar, My Bloody Valentine 3D, The Last House on the Left, Trick R’ Treat, Away We Go, Moon, Complacent (sorry! couldn’t help myself), The Cove, In The Shadows, Transformers 2 : Revenge of the Fallen (Now you now I’m drinking, right!? This one should be on the other list! Come watch a once-promising franchise turn into a turd : chi, choo, chooch, cha)
- Trailer : Masterminds - March 31, 2015
- When will we see the next Star Wars trailer!? - March 31, 2015
- Shrek to appear in new Puss in Boots sequel? - March 31, 2015
- Disney developing live-action Mulan - March 31, 2015
- Tron 3 ascends into title territory - March 31, 2015
- Superhero Movie Updates : X-Men, Suicide Squad, Deadpool, The Flash, TMNT - March 31, 2015
- NBC bringing The Wiz to Television! - March 31, 2015
- Basu boards Metal Gear Solid - March 31, 2015
- Blunt joins Krasinski in Animal Crackers - March 31, 2015
- Aussie film These Final Hours adapted for Television - March 31, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.