The last we’d heard Will Smith’s hefty price-tag had deterred Twentieth Century Fox from making a sequel to “Independence Day”.
Well, seems Fox has found some money (hello “Avatar”!) – Smith is now signed to star in not only “Independence Day 2″, but “Independence Day 3″, says IESB.net.
Says the site, “The plan would be to shoot both films back-to-back. Whether the studio opts to go the Matrix route and release the two films six months apart or do like the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels and split them by a year remains to be seen. According to our sources, if all goes according to plan, the sequel(s) could shoot as early as 2011″.
Roland Emmerich, director of the original “ID4″ as well as “The Day After Tomorrow” and “2012”, will retain his position as director on the sequel/s.
Hmmm, so Will Smith’s producing a “Karate Kid” remake, circling a sequel to “Men in Black”, and now returning for two “Independence Day” sequels? Anyone else remember when the young actor was, well, acting – making the likes of “Ali”, “Six Degrees of Separation” and “The Legend of Bagger Vance”? Money must talk.
You can read Clint’s review of the original “Independence Day” in his So Bad It’s Good Column.
- Jonah Hill – The Wolf of Wall Street - January 7, 2014
- Martin Scorsese – The Wall of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Trance - April 6, 2013
- Trance interviews : James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Danny Boyle - April 6, 2013
- Saoirse Ronan - March 30, 2013
- Max Irons & Jake Abel - March 30, 2013
- Diane Kruger - March 30, 2013
- Alicia chats to Andrew Niccol and Stephenie Meyer about The Host - March 30, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Olympus Has Fallen - March 22, 2013