Movie News

Del Toro quits The Hobbit!

Del Toro quits The Hobbit!

Big fat breaking news this morning with Guillermo del Toro announcing that he’ll no longer be directing the Peter Jackson-produced “Hobbit” two-parter.

The film’s recent delay (or should I say ‘latest delay’?) spurred the “Hellboy” director’s decision.

Speaking to, del Toro said “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures.

“I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed.”

Producer Peter Jackson said he fully understands and respects del Toro’s decision.

“The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn’t feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years,” Jackson said in a statement on The One Ring.

“Guillermo is co-writing the Hobbit screenplays with Philippa Boyens, Fran Walsh and myself, and happily our writing partnership will continue for several more months, until the scripts are fine tuned and polished.

“New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for The Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work.”

Production on “The Hobbit” had been held up due to MGM’s ongoing financial troubles.

Click to add a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Movie News

Clint is the creator, editor and maintainer of Moviehole. Loves David Lynch, David Fincher... actually, any filmmaker by the name of David.

More in Movie News


Michael Onkean not returning to Twin Peaks!?

Brooke CampbellOct 9, 2015
Scoot McNairy as Gordon Clark, Mackenzie Davis as Cameron Howe and Lee Pace as Joe MacMillan - Halt and Catch Fire _ Season 1, Gallery - Photo Credit: James Minchin III/AMC

Halt and Catch Fire, Tyrant get third season orders

AshOct 9, 2015

Toni Collette joins Daniel Radcliffe’s Imperium

AshOct 9, 2015

F Gary Gray confirmed to helm Furious 8

AshOct 9, 2015

Samara Weaving is The Babysitter

AshOct 9, 2015

Disney dates Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Black Panther

AshOct 9, 2015

Batman v Superman’s LexCorp releases new video

AshOct 9, 2015

X-Men: Apocalypse synopsis released

AshOct 9, 2015
Actor Ron Perlman of the FX show "Sons  Of Anarchy" attends tonight's Knicks game in an NBA basketball game at Madison Square Garden on March 23, 2013. (Paul J. Bereswill)

Ron Perlman is a Fantastic Beast

AshOct 9, 2015