There’s gotta be a time when a filmmaker must say to himself, “You know what? This just isn’t working… this film just isn’t meant to happen. I think I should let it go”.
Terry Gilliam has been trying to get “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” up for years. At one stage with Johnny Depp. But, anyone that’s seen the documentary (“Lost in La Mancha”), will know that the production was plagued with problems – too many to list here – from the get-go.
Gilliam announced last year that the the film was showing signs of life again. He had attached Ewan McGregor to play the role Depp was once onboard to play and even had veteran superstar Robert Duvall attached to play Quixote. Filming was due to commence around… well, now.
So where is it?
“The financing collapsed about a month and a half ago”, the filmmaker tells Variety. “The plan was to be shooting Quixote right now.”
The filmmaker says he still plans on doing the film.
”Don Quixote gives me something to look forward to, always. Maybe the most frightening thing is to actually make the film.”
Maybe if he added some aliens, some star cameos and a pop music soundtrack featuring the stylings of Katy Perry and Kanye West, “Don Quixote” might have a better chance of getting off the ground? Just saying…
- Jonah Hill – The Wolf of Wall Street - January 7, 2014
- Martin Scorsese – The Wall of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Trance - April 6, 2013
- Trance interviews : James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Danny Boyle - April 6, 2013
- Saoirse Ronan - March 30, 2013
- Max Irons & Jake Abel - March 30, 2013
- Diane Kruger - March 30, 2013
- Alicia chats to Andrew Niccol and Stephenie Meyer about The Host - March 30, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Olympus Has Fallen - March 22, 2013