With the ’80s now well and truly covered, Hollywood’s now making their way through the ’90s catalog.
Today’s remake : “The Bodyguard”, Mick Jackson’s 1992 musiller (that’s music/thriller) starring Kevin Costner as Steve McQueen and Whitney Houston as Whitney Houston.
A few years back Costner was trying to put together some sort of a sequel (though I believe Houston wouldn’t be back, his ‘Bodyguard would be protecting/bedding another female) but for whatever reason, his proposal got no further than a pitch meeting.
Warner Bros have now announced they’ll be just ‘doing over’ the original film (and likely Houston’s hit song ‘I Will Always Love You’?) but adding some contemporary touches. According to Deadline, “here the bodyguard will be a former Iraq war veteran who gets the job protecting the star as his first gig after leaving the Army. He discovers that the world of Twitter, Google Maps and TMZ has made access to celebrities easier than ever, making the job more difficult than ever.”
The film will be written by Jeremiah Friedman and Nick Palmer. The original of course was panned by the legendary Lawrence Kasdan.
As they did with Houston, Warner Bros are reportedly planning on casting a young female musician in the role of the client. Who would work, you think? Britney? Lady Gaga? Avril Lavigne? Miley Cyrus? Taylor Swift? Comment below!
- Jonah Hill – The Wolf of Wall Street - January 7, 2014
- Martin Scorsese – The Wall of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Trance - April 6, 2013
- Trance interviews : James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Danny Boyle - April 6, 2013
- Saoirse Ronan - March 30, 2013
- Max Irons & Jake Abel - March 30, 2013
- Diane Kruger - March 30, 2013
- Alicia chats to Andrew Niccol and Stephenie Meyer about The Host - March 30, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Olympus Has Fallen - March 22, 2013