A couple of weeks back we exclusively reported that Universal had decided not to sequelize last year’s “The Wolfman” – starring Benicio Del Toro as the piliferous transformer – as originally intended, but instead had writer Michael Tabb rework the script into an original, stand-alone picture.
We’ve now recieved word that the project, now titled “Werewolf”, has tapped Louis Morneau as it’s director.
Morneau’s previous credits include “Joy Ride 2 : Dead Ahead”, “The Hitcher II : I’ve Been Waiting”, “Bats” with Lou Diamond Phillips, and “Retroactive” with Jim Belushi.
Casting begins shortly on “Werewolf”.
Universal were considering doing a sequel to the recent – god awful – ”The Wolfman”, which featured Benicio del Toro as the sharp-clawed Talbot – that’s no longer the case. Michael Tabb’s script is being rewritten and reworked to be an original film – almost a reboot of the classic Universal monster movie series.
If anything, this new film – they’ve yet to decide on a title though I hear “Werewolf” is popular -will share a link to the original George Waggner film (from 1941) rather than Joe Johnston’s ill-fated 2009 remake.
As I said, the Universal project is currently undergoing a rewrite; it is likely headed before the cameras in the Fall. The studio is said to be talking to prospective directors over the next couple of weeks. Casting will begin shortly thereafter.
The original 1941 film, starring Lon Chaney in the title role, told of a a practical man who returns to his homeland, is attacked by a creature of folklore, and infected with a horrific disease his disciplined mind tells him can not possibly exist. It’s a beloved piece of cinematic history – – unlike the remake which was cursed from the get-go; among it’s many hiccups, losing director Mark Romanek early into the production.
What do you think, should they’ve stuck to sequelizing last year’s “The Wolfman” or does an original harbor more promise?
- Mandy chats to Russell Crowe at The Water Diviner premiere - December 11, 2014
- Kosta Ouzas, Nick Kozakis – Plague - November 22, 2014
- TV REVIEW: ARROW 3.5 (PHOTO RECAP) - November 9, 2014
- TV REVIEW: ARROW 3.4 (PHOTO RECAP) - November 9, 2014
- Rich Sommer – Mad Men - October 25, 2014
- Logan Lerman – Fury - October 22, 2014
- A Mandy Moment ode to Dredd - October 2, 2014
- Nadir Caselli – Lavazza Italian Film Festival - September 23, 2014
- Step Up All In - September 13, 2014
- Divergent - September 6, 2014
The Princess Bride
A good wine
Clint's Nicolas Cage impersonation