Hot off the presses; Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio and William Monathan, the team behind 2006 Oscar Winner “The Departed”, are eyeing a reunite on “The Gambler” a remake of the 1974 flick starring
Kenny Rogers James Caan.
You’ll recall that Jimmy Caan was nominated a Golden Globe for his performance as an English teacher and chronic gambler who goes all ‘Seize the Day’ on his slacker students.
The Hollywood Reporter says :
The studio has set Martin Scorsese to direct and William Monahan to write. Irwin Winkler, who produced the original, will again act as producer of the new film. They are interested in having Leonardo DiCaprio star, but no deal is in place for the actor.
The 1974 movie, an adaptation of the short novel The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, detailed a New York English professor who inspires his students but suffers from a secret gambling addiction. The affliction causes him to extort money from his mother and convince one of his students to shave points in a basketball game.
And with this news, and time getting away from everyone, the long-mooted “Departed” sequel seems even less likely…
- Jonah Hill – The Wolf of Wall Street - January 7, 2014
- Martin Scorsese – The Wall of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Trance - April 6, 2013
- Trance interviews : James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Danny Boyle - April 6, 2013
- Saoirse Ronan - March 30, 2013
- Max Irons & Jake Abel - March 30, 2013
- Diane Kruger - March 30, 2013
- Alicia chats to Andrew Niccol and Stephenie Meyer about The Host - March 30, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Olympus Has Fallen - March 22, 2013