Casting agents were issued with a ‘yo! heads up!, they’re looking to cast Artemisia in the 300 sequel’ this past Friday.
“300 : The Battle of Artemisium” (yep, seems it’s undergone yet another name change; it was simply “300 : The Battle of Artemisia”)
Actresses will be testing for the part over the next fortnight or so. Murro isn’t after a “star” for the part.
The film, which Noam Murro is directing for the water tower troops, isn’t so much a sequel as it is a film that takes place concurrently with the events of the first “300” (as well as before and after). Only this time, we see the events unfold through the eyes of Xerxes and his people.
You’ll feel more for the jewellery-loving villain this time around.
This is what casting agents have been told about Artemisia and how she plays into the story :
Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) is somewhat pushed into the bloody battle with the Greeks by the gold-covered maven goddess Artemisia. Artemisia, witnessing just how much his father King Darius’s death has affected him, persuades Xerxes – with her “vindictive charm” – to go into battle against those responsible.
Artemisia tells Xerxes that he has no choice but to avenge his father’s death and has to man up before becoming king. So, he sets off to become a God because that’s the only way he can win the battle.
Artemisia, on her hunt for a group of men to join Xerxes in the battle against the Greeks, doesn’t stop at brainwashing Xerxes. She also manages to convince Themistocles (the character “Animal Kingdom” star Joel Edgerton is in talks to play) to side with her somewhat. Though the Persians took his family, and he’s spent ten years training the Greeks for battle, Artemisia has such an allure about her that the muscly Greek is taken. Ultimately, she convinces him that his life will be better off if he swaps sides. But this guy’s also as good a liar as he is a fighter.
But as you can see, Artemisia is a central character in the story – she’s the one making opposing leaders jump through hoops.
Who do you think might make for a good Artemisia?
- Wanna know how much Frozen has now made!?… - April 28, 2014
- Spider-Man won’t be teaming with The Avengers anytime soon… - November 22, 2013
- Kevin Spacey producing Grand Turismo movie - November 21, 2013
- The Following‘s Natalie Zea joins indie drama Supreme Ruler - November 21, 2013
- Witches of East End star doing rom com A Ring by Spring - November 20, 2013
- New clips from American Hustle and Crave - November 20, 2013
- Trailer : Twice Born - November 20, 2013
- R2D2 to reprise role of R2D2 for Star Wars Episode VII - November 19, 2013
- Hunger Games writer tackling Last Tycoon - November 19, 2013
- New TV Spot for The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug - November 19, 2013