The on-again off-again on-again “Riddick”, David Twohy and Vin Diesel’s third in the “Pitch Black” series, has apparently recovered it’s loot. Shut down last month due to a lack of Benjamins (they couldn’t afford to pay the studio where the film was being shot), TMZ says the film is back in production with filming to commence last week of December.
Firstly, here’s a refresher on the film.
In a nutshell, the movie sees Riddick back on a barren planet, surrounded by monsters and mercenaries – both species who want him dead and vice versa.
Though there’s a couple of potential cameos from previous Riddick movie faves, it’s mostly fresh blood this time surrounding the big guy. And speaking of fresh, the character seems to have gotten a welcome, kick-ass overhaul….he’s more brutal, bad-ass and virile (as some may say) than he was in the previous films.
There’s a real sense of fun here. The dialogue is delicious and the characters are not only memorable, they’re a blast to be around – particularly our hero whose discovered both a charming sense of humour and personality along the way.
More so, ”Riddick” is a direct sequel to ”Pitch Black” – the events tie into that film. In much the same way the upcoming ”Dark Knight Rises” will tie up any loose threads and plot points from Batman Begins, Riddick will return to the mystery and monsters at the centre of ”Pitch Black.” That’s a good thing because, let’s admit it, the original rocked.. the sequel sucked.
Not to say there isn’t a link to the last Riddick adventure.
After a brief introduction in which were reunited with Riddick, surrounded by monsters, on a barren planet… we flash back to how Riddick ended up there. (You can read more about the plot here)
Sounds good? Yup. Well, you might actually see it now, if TMZ’s sources are correct :
the movie came to a screeching halt last month, when the guy who owns the Montreal studio where the film is being shot LOCKED OUT the cast and crew after complaining that he hadn’t gotten paid.
But things have FINALLY changed … so says studio owner Michel Trudel, who claims the production company recently paid up … and he’s willing to allow the flick to pick up where it left off.
Sources connected with the production tell us … the studio payment is just ONE step in the right direction — noting that several members of the crew who had been griping about not receiving paychecks WILL INDEED get their cash in the very near future.
We’re told that filming will resume on December 28.
With a cast including not only Diesel but “Battlestar Galactica” fave Katee Sackhoff and Bokeem Woodbine (and Bloody Disgusting report today that Cliff Curtis, Holt McCallany and Matthew Nable may be joining too) I think we’re in for a good time.