I know we’re supposed to be talking to him sometime this week, so we’ll try and get more out of him on jump-ship then, but Vulture‘s received word that Jason Segel won’t be co-writing a sequel to “The Muppets”. That’s the bad news. The good news? Disney are definitely doing one – a sequel.
Says the site :
A deal has been reached with The Muppets director James Bobin and original co-writer Nicholas Stoller to pen a sequel, but insiders also tell us that Stoller’s original collaborator, Jason Segel, won’t be returning to the keyboard. Segel, a star of How I Met Your Mother — now in its eighth season — has a burgeoning film career, and Disney insiders tell Vulture that between his commitment to the CBS sitcom, his other feature-writing efforts, and promotional work for Five Year Engagement (due out this coming April) and Judd Apatow’s This Is Forty (in December), there won’t be time to collaborate on a Muppets sequel.
Apparently there’s still a chance Jason Segel could return to reprise his role as Gary in the film, but that all depends on whether he’s taken with the script and obviously his other TV and film commitments.
If not, I imagine Bobin will bring in another big star to kick it with the Muppets. Any suggestions? Maybe Paul Rudd? How about “Mr. Steve Martin… Yaaaaaaayyyy!”?
- Jonah Hill – The Wolf of Wall Street - January 7, 2014
- Martin Scorsese – The Wall of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Leonardo DiCaprio – The Wolf of Wall Street - December 27, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Trance - April 6, 2013
- Trance interviews : James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Danny Boyle - April 6, 2013
- Saoirse Ronan - March 30, 2013
- Max Irons & Jake Abel - March 30, 2013
- Diane Kruger - March 30, 2013
- Alicia chats to Andrew Niccol and Stephenie Meyer about The Host - March 30, 2013
- Malone’s Movie Minute : Olympus Has Fallen - March 22, 2013