This could go either way.
Sam Raimi is producing MGM’s long-in-development “Poltergeist” remake.
The redo of the Tobe Hooper classic will be written by David Lindsay-Abaire (“Oz The Great and Powerful”).
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the storyline (it’s about “a family whose house was built on a holy site and whose daughter is taken by ghosts”) remains the same. Raimi is currently on the hunt for a director.
The studio has been looking to do a “Poltergeist” reboot for a few years now. About five or six years ago, our own Clint Morris had written a spec called “Poltergeist : Kayeri”, which this article says would’ve fixed on Craig T.Nelson’s Stephen Freeling character, now a traumatized hermit living in the Santa Ynez Mountains. Hilary Duff had been discussed as a possible Carol-Anne, the character made famous by the late Heather O’Rourke in the first three “Poltergeist” films.
Raimi seems to have a thing for remakes at the moment; not only is he producing a remake of his own “Evil Dead” but he’s onboard remakes of “The Day of the Triffids”, “20,000 Leagues Under The Sea”, and “The Shadow”, originally a ’90s superhero pic with Alec Baldwin.
- J.J Abrams turned down Star Wars : Episode VII directing job - December 27, 2012
- TNT’s Leverage to end after five seasons - December 22, 2012
- New trailer for Dreamworks’ Turbo - December 21, 2012
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as the new Mad Max! - December 21, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 21, 2012
- Seth Rogen’s This is the End has a great Red Band Trailer! - December 21, 2012
- The CW’s Sherwood reintroduces audiences to Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves - December 21, 2012
- Red Band Trailer for The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - December 20, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 19, 2012
- Vin Diesel to play Kojak - December 18, 2012