Remember all the talk of ‘The Riddler’ possibly being the big bad in “The Dark Knight Rises”? You should, it was one of those relentless rumours that just didn’t want to go away. It was only with the official announcement that director Christopher Nolan had decided on Catwoman and Bane, as the film’s villains, that talk of the questioning villain started to dissolve. But just how real was all the Riddler talk?
According to screenwriter David Goyer, very real.
Speaking to Empire Magazine (via Batman-News.com) for their new ‘Dark Knight Rises’-heavy issue, Goyer said Warner Bros were very keen on having the Riddler being a part of “Dark Knight Rises”.
Goyer remembers the studio bosses telling him as far back as 2008, after the release of “The Dark Knight”, that “Obviously it’s gonna be The Riddler” in terms of the final film, “and we want it to be Leonardo DiCaprio.”
DiCaprio is a favourite of Warner Bros, having done such films as “Inception” (with Christopher Nolan), “Body of Lies” and “The Great Gatsby” with the crowd. No surprise that they would want him. But somewhere along the line, and probably at director Nolan’s insistence, the idea of using the character of The Riddler was dropped.
Guess we’ll have to be happy with Jim Carrey’s interpretation of the character from 1995’s “Batman Forever” :
- J.J Abrams turned down Star Wars : Episode VII directing job - December 27, 2012
- TNT’s Leverage to end after five seasons - December 22, 2012
- New trailer for Dreamworks’ Turbo - December 21, 2012
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as the new Mad Max! - December 21, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 21, 2012
- Seth Rogen’s This is the End has a great Red Band Trailer! - December 21, 2012
- The CW’s Sherwood reintroduces audiences to Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves - December 21, 2012
- Red Band Trailer for The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - December 20, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 19, 2012
- Vin Diesel to play Kojak - December 18, 2012