Hugo Weaving’s next is being shot close to home.
According to Inside Film, the “Captain America” villain will star in the Aussie mystery thriller “Mystery Road”, from writer/director Ivan Sen. Filming has commenced in the Queensland town of Winton on the dark thriller, which also features “True Blood” hunk Ryan Kwanten.
The film stars Aaron Pedersen as detective Jay Swan who returns home to an outback town to solve the murder of a teenage Indigenous girl, whose body is found under the trucking route highway out of town. The film also stars Hugo Weaving, Jack Thompson, Ryan Kwanten, Tony Barry, Tasma Walton, Damian Walshe-Howling, David Field, Robert Mammone and newcomers Trisha Whitton and Siobhan Binge.
David Jowsey, producing, says “Ivan Sen is one of Australia’s most gifted filmmakers who, with Mystery Road, has the opportunity to apply his prodigious talent to a broader canvas,” Jowsey said in a statement. “Ivan’s screenplay strikes a distinctive balance between its unabashedly genre roots as a murder mystery and its perceptive cultural insights.”
Weaving’s previous local film “Last Ride”, released locally in 2009, is about to get a U.S release.
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013