George Miller has reportedly scrapped plans to shoot “Mad Max Fury Road”, finally shooting in Africa this month, in 3D.
Rather than break his back carrying around lunky lenses, the Doc has opted instead to convert the film into 3D in post.
Inside Film reported earlier :
Miller was understood to have been developing new 3D cameras and rigs based on technology originally developed by Dalsa Corporation although there was some scepticism that an untried system would be able to withstand the tough desert conditions and extensive stunt work the film requires.
“We are doing 3D on Fury Road – we are shooting with real 3D cameras,” Miller said in July, 2010. “Seven years ago we were going to shoot in 3D but the technology in cinemas wasn’t geared for it then but I always loved 3D or stereo.”
Several films have been criticised by audiences and filmmakers for the quality of their 3D post-conversion although the standard of work is improving from the much-criticised Clash of the Titans in 2010.
Legendary cinematographer John Seale ASC ACS said extensive tests had been conducted on digital gear and Fury Road is now being shot with:
• 4 ARRI ALEXA Plus cameras (for standard sound shooting)
• 3 ARRI ALEXA M cameras (for the interior of trucks)
• 6 Canon 5D cameras (for stunt situations)
• 7 Olympus P5 cameras (as pure “crash” cameras).
The decision is another coup for ARRI which has gained extensive market share with the ALEXA. At NAB 2012 it unveiled the Plus 4:3 (which brings a Super 35 sensor to the ALEXA Plus) and the ALEXA M (an ALEXA effectively chopped in two, which allows highly flexible shooting such as in a helicopter).
Star Charlize Theron, however, will be shot in 4D – in order to sell more tickets.
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013