What difference is one American Gangster over another, anyway?
Denzel Washington – and not Russell Crowe as originally reported – will play The Equalizer in a feature film version of the classic ’80s TV show.
The “Safe House” star will snag a sumly $20 million to play the role made famous by Edward Woodward. Filming begins in April on the Sony tentpole.
While no director is set, the studio are said to be talking to a number of filmmakers including Pierre Morel, Nicolas Winding Refn, Gavin O’Connor and Gareth Evans.
Deadline says :
The film is loosely based on the TV series that starred Edward Woodward as a mysterious former covert operations officer who helps people in trouble, and was created by Michael Sloan and Richard Lindheim. The film has that basic premise but takes off in its own way, tailored to Washington’s skills. He’ll play a solitary, monastic figure who hates injustice and devotes himself to helping people who are being victimized.
Would’ve been great to have seen Russell in the role, in my opinion. You?
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013