At Comic-Con, Director Peter Jackson mentioned that should there be enough story to fill one, he might spread the “Hobbit” films out over two films – rather than the two he had initially planned.
The Hollywood Reporter suggests this is more than just talk, word today is Jackson and the team are talking to Warner Bros about possibly making this a ‘Hobbit’ trilogy.
That would require additional shooting that sources say could take place next summer for about two months in New Zealand.
Jackson teased the idea at Comic-Con on July 14, telling fans that he wants to shoot more footage. But since then, sources say that studio Warner Bros., Jackson, producer Fran Walsh and writer-producer Philippa Boyens began exploring the logistics of what it would take to make another movie. Those talks are said to have accelerated in recent days, with the studio on board if the right financial arrangements can be achieved. That includes securing new actor deals for the expansive cast as well as shoring up certain rights associated with the property (The Hobbit has a long a tortured rights history.)
“If we’re going to do it, we have to make a decision soon,” says a source close to the production. “It’s strongly driven by the filmmakers’ desire to tell more of the story.”
The first installment, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, is set for release on December 14. The second film, called There An Back Again, is set to hit theaters on December 13, 2013. A third film would presumably follow in 2014, much the same way the films in Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy unspooled over three consecutive years.
“It’s about taking the chance to tell more of the incredible tale with the cast we have assembled,” says a source.
Ian McKellen just put a down-payment on a new yacht.
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013