In 2010 Jessica Watson’s story touched and inspired people in Australia and around the world and now her heroic story will be told on the big screen with Paramount Pictures Australia today announcing that they are delighted to be distributing the film about her journey, TRUE SPIRIT, in Australia and New Zealand.
“True Spirit” will be produced by Brookwell McNamara Entertainment (BME) run by Sean McNamara and David Brookwell , who produced the inspiring true-story film ‘Soul Surfer’ (directed by Sean McNamara) and Australian production entity Sunstar Entertainment helmed by Andrew Fraser, Daniel Starling and Brian Andrews.
On May 15 2010, arriving back in Sydney three days before her 17th birthday, Jessica Watson became the youngest person ever to sail solo around the world non-stop and unassisted.
In common with the recent successful releases ‘Mao’s Last Dancer’ and ‘Red Dog’, TRUE SPIRIT brings a story of the triumph of the human spirit, detailing Jessica’s successful struggle to achieve her dream of circumnavigating the globe.
Paramount Pictures Vice President of Australia and New Zealand, Mike Selwyn said of today’s announcement “We are delighted to be working with BME and Sunstar to bring Jessica Watson’s story to the big screen where it belongs. This is a wonderful story of courage, perseverance and triumph that will appeal to all audiences”.
“It’s an honour to have a feature film made about you – quite surreal and very exciting! It will be interesting to watch how a film is made. I’m looking forward to working closely with the production team and Paramount in my capacity as a consultant on the project”, said Jessica Watson.
Andrew Fraser CEO of Sunstar Entertainment said “Jessica Watson is an inspiring story that ultimately proves that we all have the power to live our dreams – no matter how small or big they are! This is a great Australian story on a great Australian”.
Sean McNamara and David Brookwell of BME said “We are truly excited to make an inspirational movie about Jessica Watson’s true life adventure of circumnavigating the globe. The world needs stories of young people who set out with a goal and achieve it with persistence and determination. It shows people, young and old alike, that you can follow your dreams and with hard work and a little bit of faith, anything is possible”.
“True Spirit” is scheduled to shoot in early 2013 and slated for release at the end of 2013. The film will be shot in Australia, with locations in Sydney and the Gold Coast.
- J.J Abrams turned down Star Wars : Episode VII directing job - December 27, 2012
- TNT’s Leverage to end after five seasons - December 22, 2012
- New trailer for Dreamworks’ Turbo - December 21, 2012
- First Picture of Tom Hardy as the new Mad Max! - December 21, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 21, 2012
- Seth Rogen’s This is the End has a great Red Band Trailer! - December 21, 2012
- The CW’s Sherwood reintroduces audiences to Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves - December 21, 2012
- Red Band Trailer for The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy - December 20, 2012
- 10 Breaking Bits - December 19, 2012
- Vin Diesel to play Kojak - December 18, 2012