Robert De Niro has sold a TV series spin-off of his 2006 film “The Good Shepherd”, the cold war spy drama he directed and co-starred with Matt Damon in, to Showtime.
Deadline says De Niro and Jane Rosenthal’s Tribeca Prods are producing, with De Niro – who has been attached to direct a Tribeca pilot – helming the series.
The film’s writer Eric Roth is returning to write the series, which will concentrate on the family of a CIA operative.
Tribeca Prods were originally going to do a feature film follow-up to the 2006 film but opted instead to pursue a cable TV series, knowing they’d have more time to flesh out and spend with the characters and the world created in the De Niro-directed movie.
De Niro and Rosenthal have also sold a family medical drama from TV writer/playwright Diana Son to CBS.
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013