1. The trailer for “Greetings from Tim Buckley”, starring Penn Bagdley as the late musician, has surfaced. Looks solid, too!
2. A few release date shufles : “Les Miserables” now opens Christmas day; Stuart Beattie’s “I, Frankenstein” moves from February 22 to September 13; “Snitch” starring Dwayne Johnson has been booked for Feb 22; and “Battle of the Year” has been pushed way back to Sep 13, 2013.
In terms of literary releases, Stephen King’s sequel to “The Shining”, titled “Dr Sleep”, is out September 24, 2013.
3. A new still from “Beautiful Creatures”, a flick based on the first in a five-book literary franchise, is online. Flick stars Viola Davis, Alice Englert and Alder Ehrenreich.
4. Paramount Pictures has officially issued a release signalling the start of production on “Jack Ryan”. There’s a new cast member or two listed below, but other than that, nothing much new.
Paramount Pictures, a division of Viacom, Inc., and Skydance Productions announced today that principal photography has begun on “JACK RYAN,” from Academy Award®-nominated director Kenneth Branagh, starring Chris Pine, Academy Award®-nominated Keira Knightley and Academy Award®-nominated Kevin Costner. The film is shooting in New York, Moscow and London and is slated for release on December 25, 2013.
Based on the Jack Ryan character created by bestselling author Tom Clancy, the film is a contemporary action thriller set in the present day. The original story, written by David Koepp (“ANGELS AND DEMONS,” “WAR OF THE WORLDS”), follows a young Jack as he uncovers a financial terrorist plot.
Lorenzo di Bonaventura (the “TRANSFORMERS” franchise, “RED”) will produce through his Di Bonaventura Pictures banner, along with Mace Neufeld (“THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER,” “PATRIOT GAMES”) and David Barron (the “HARRY POTTER” franchise). David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake of Skydance Productions (“MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL,” “TRUE GRIT”) will executive produce along with Tommy Harper (“MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL”).
“JACK RYAN” stars Pine (“STAR TREK,” “RISE OF THE GUARDIANS”) as the title character; Knightley (“ANNA KARENINA,” the “PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN” franchise) as his fiancé Cathy Muller; Costner (“HATFIELDS & MCCOYS,” “DANCES WITH WOLVES”) as Ryan’s CIA handler Harper; and Peter Andersson (“THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO” trilogy) as security agent Dmitri Lemkov. Branagh, in addition to directing the film, will take on the role of Russian oligarch Viktor Cherevin.
5. Friend of MH, Amy Adams talks up her role as Lois Lane in the upcoming “Man of Steel” over at >MTV.
6. A new Red-Band Trailer for Scott Derrickson’s “Sinister”, starring Ethan Hawke, is online.
7. Some new set pictures from “Kick-Ass 2 : Balls to the Wall” have emerged, offering our first look at Donald Faison’s ‘Dr Gravity’. (There’s more here)
8. The new trailer for Ted Kotcheff’s “Wake in Fright” is online. The Drafthouse Films release opens theatrically in New York on October 5 at The Film Forum (NYC), October 19 at The Nuart (LA) and will have a national release to follow in major cities after screening at Fantastic Fest 2012 this week.
9. Katniss, erm, Jennifer Lawrence sings in a new music video from “House at the End of the Street”
10. “Gremlins” director Joe Dante says there’ll likely be a third film in the popular comedy-horror series, but as far as he knows Warners haven’t happened upon an idea they like yet. “I do know that there have been attempts at Gremlins pictures”, the filmmaker tells Bloody Disgusting. “I know that people have gone in with pitches, but nothing has caught their eye. But I’m not positive that it’s entirely Warner Brothers’ decision. Because it’s an Amblin project, it probably has to be signed off on by Spielberg.I think sooner or later there will be something, I just don’t know what it is yet.” Dante doubts they’ll do a sequel to his “Gremlins” films because the cast, namely Zach Gallighan and Phoebe Cates, are “too old” now.