As anyone not based on the faraway planet of Pandora knows, James Cameron is currently planning on shooting ”Avatar 2” and 3 back to back.
Great news for Jim fans, particularly since “John Carter” – seen by some as a poor man’s take on a sequel to “Avatar” – stunk up the sci-fi stratosphere earlier this year, leaving us hungry for something decent again. However, there’s more good news, it appears that there are plans in the works for a fourth ”Avatar” movie and if plans proceed as Cameron envisions them, George Lucas may be raising an eyebrow.
Francise staple Sigourney Weaver hinted back in June that there might be an ”Avatar 4” but never outright confirmed the plans. In a recent interview with MTV, James Cameron confirmed that there are indeed plans for a fourth installment in the blue-men series.
Cameron told MTV, “I have an idea for a fourth. I haven’t really put pen to paper on it, but basically it goes back to the early expeditions of Pandora, and kind of what went wrong with the humans and the Na’vi and what that was like to be an explorer and living in that world.”
The current plan for the second and third ”Avatar” film is to wrap up the current story before going back to a prequel. Yes ”Star Wars” fans, he is doing what many movie franchises have chosen to do in recent years in copying George Lucas’s idea for a back-story to a successful film franchise.
For those wondering why it is taking so long to come out with the next installment of the ”Avatar” trilogy, Cameron explains that he wants to make the process easier for the upcoming films. He says that “We’ve spent two years refining the whole pipeline. It was a hideously complex process to make that film and a lot has been said about that, but we don’t want it to be done in the same prototypical way as the first one, we want it to be a much smoother workflow just for creativity reasons.”
Yesterday, Cameron told THR that future “Avatar” films will likely be co-produced with China, suggesting we’ll be seeing Chinese ‘blue’ guys pretty soon.
“We can have Chinese Na’vi; [and in the live-action sequences] we can also have Chinese actors who speak English in the film.” Cameron said. “We are projecting a future in Avatar, and if you project that future out, it is logical that there would be a number of Chinese amongst the contingent on Pandora.”
At present, it looks like that ”Avatar 4” won’t hit theaters until around 2017 and if that timeframe holds true, we could very well see three straight years of ”Avatar” sequels.
Written in collaboration with Casinotop10.net
- Wanna know how much Frozen has now made!?… - April 28, 2014
- Spider-Man won’t be teaming with The Avengers anytime soon… - November 22, 2013
- Kevin Spacey producing Grand Turismo movie - November 21, 2013
- The Following‘s Natalie Zea joins indie drama Supreme Ruler - November 21, 2013
- Witches of East End star doing rom com A Ring by Spring - November 20, 2013
- New clips from American Hustle and Crave - November 20, 2013
- Trailer : Twice Born - November 20, 2013
- R2D2 to reprise role of R2D2 for Star Wars Episode VII - November 19, 2013
- Hunger Games writer tackling Last Tycoon - November 19, 2013
- New TV Spot for The Hobbit : The Desolation of Smaug - November 19, 2013