Terrific recreation of the High School staple and film of the same name.
Nothing is directly lifted from the classic Aussie coming-of-age movie to the series update, but that insightful (and for some embarrassing) telescope-peep on life back in the late seventies/early eighties again replicates divinely to screen.
From the pains and pimples of being a teenager (the pressure to have sex, the temptation to explore the open end of a VB bottle, the struggle to fit in) to the ups-and-downs of being an adult, experiencing much of the same problems, not to mention being a parent to one of these not-so-rare creatures, is perfectly captured.
The series, flanked by a marvelously gifted cast including Aussie series vet Claudia Karvan, Dan Wylie (“Underbelly”, “Love My Way”), and the always solid Susie Porter, is undoubtedly one of the more unique and successful local drama ventures in recent times. Here’s to a second season.
Blu-ray details/extras : A whole horde of featurettes, screen tests and a ‘wrap’ party.
- Jeremy London, Ethan Suplee returning for Mallrats 2 - March 28, 2015
- Dorff gets a badge for Texas Chainsaw prequel - March 28, 2015
- Another ’90s TV Hit returning! - March 28, 2015
- Super Troopers 2 director answers those lingering questions! - March 28, 2015
- Blade Runner actress nixed from sequel? - March 28, 2015
- Transformers sequels, spin offs in the works - March 28, 2015
- Seinfeld fave in talks for Force Majeure remake - March 28, 2015
- Beauty and the Beast finds it’s Garderobe - March 28, 2015
- First look at Patrick Stewart in Blunt Talk - March 28, 2015
- Cast announced for School of Rock TV series - March 28, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.