“Transformers 4″ could end up shooting in China, according to Vulture.
In an effort to secure a local Chinese production company to help with the film, the Michael Bay directed blockbuster is said to be seriously considering shifting the action in the franchise from America to China.
With a Chinese production company onboard, and predominantly, the shift in locale from the U.S to China, the film would have a greater chance of being shown in the country.
Up until recently, Chinese cinemas didn’t screen all that many American movies, opting only to show locally-produced fare. They’ve loosened their belts a lot on this stance lately, especially when it comes to international films that the Chinese have had a large part to play in – be it the Aussie thriller “Bait” or the upcoming “Iron Man 3″, both of which were co-productions with local companies in the country.
The Chinese film market also only screens 3D or IMAX films, exclusively, now. “Transformers 4″ will be available in both those formats, which will please exhibitors in China.
The script, which is still being written, will fix on a father, his daughter, and his daughter’s race car driver boyfriend battling robots. Mark Wahberg is set to play one of those characters – assumingly the father character. A number of young actors are currently testing for the other parts, including Australia’s Isabelle Cornish (“Puberty Blues”) and fellow Oz thespian Brenton Thwaites (“Maleficent”).
The Hollywood Reporter says Thailand is also being considered as a setting, but Vulture seems confident in their claim that China’s top-of-the-setting-wish-list at the moment.
- Tony Jaa joins the cast of Fast & Furious 7 - August 24, 2013
- Ronan the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy - August 24, 2013
- Field remakes Inbetweeners, Lowery reunites with Affleck - August 23, 2013
- Penthouse North - August 16, 2013
- Hammer of the Gods - August 16, 2013
- First Position - August 16, 2013
- Be standing for presidential stills from Parkland - August 13, 2013
- Powell joins Expendables 3; Filming kicks off next week - August 13, 2013
- TV : Slade on Crossbones; Four join The Knick - August 13, 2013
- Always knew Mary Jane Watson was a bit of a Midnight Special - August 13, 2013