Jeremy Renner is set to play Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Gary Webb in Michael Cuesta’s sure-to-be-controversial “Kill The Messenger”.
“The Avengers” star plays a journalist who committed suicide after being denounced for exposing the CIA’s controversial involvement in helping Nicaragua’s Contra rebels import cocaine into California in the 1980s. The Hollywood Reporter says the CAA-financed movie is being written by Peter Landesman and is being produced by, among others, Renner.
In a series of 1996 articles for the San Jose Mercury News, Webb detailed how the CIA had effectively allowed the Contras to smuggle cocaine into the U.S. and use the proceeds to fund their war against the Nicaraguan government in the 1980s. The Mercury News ultimately backed down from the story, ending Webb’s career. Webb was found dead in 2004.
The film was initially with Universal, but is now looking to go out as an independent movie.
- First look at Chewbacca from Star Wars : The Force Awakens - December 19, 2014
- Sony, Rodriguez team for Fire and Ice franchise - December 19, 2014
- David Fincher has two TV gigs in the works - December 19, 2014
- New Pics : Daredevil, Crimson Peak, Jurassic World - December 19, 2014
- Amanda Waller part cast in Suicide Squad - December 18, 2014
- Andy Serkis talks his Star Wars characters - December 18, 2014
- Veronica Mars star has a Rocky future - December 17, 2014
- Who is Star Wars’ Captain Phasma!? - December 17, 2014
- Orlando Bloom back for Pirates 5? - December 17, 2014
- Reboot of The Craft in the works? - December 16, 2014