At the WonderCon panel for “Pacific Rim” today, director Guillermo Del Toro fielded a question about his upcoming [anti]superhero project, “Dark Universe” (which he said may end up being retitled “Justice League Dark”), which teams some of DC’s seedier heroes.
Del Toro says the main character in his film will be John Constantine (the character Keanu Reeves played in Francis Lawrence’s “Constantine”), though he’ll have blond hair this time around (as opposed to Keanu’s version), and he’ll be supported by the likes of Swamp Thing, the Demon, Deadman, the Spectre and Zatanna.
“He’s basically trying to recuit”, Del Toro says of Constantine.
The film will explore Jason Blood’s history with Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table, and how that’s all got something to do with an imminent modern-day threat.
Del Toro says the film will be different from the ‘other’ “Justice League” in that these guys won’t be showing off their powers in the first reel of the film.
“We get to their origins through their story we don’t start with the origin story at the top. Swamp Thing is at peace with who he is, but Deadman has to find out who shot him. My two favorite characters in the DC universe were Etrigan and Swamp Thing growing up.”
It’s anyone’s guess when the movie will happen, but Del Toro says he has written a “bible” for the film and hopes to announce it’s screenwriter soon.
- Still Alice - January 25, 2015
- Trailer : She’s Funny That Way - January 25, 2015
- Brooke’s Top 5 Must See Movies of 2015 - January 25, 2015
- Hateful Eight : More cast, Production begins - January 25, 2015
- The Crow : Evans walks, Hardy talks - January 25, 2015
- New Star Wars standalone film spoilers! - January 25, 2015
- Tyrese Gibson lobbying for Green Lantern - January 25, 2015
- First look at The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio - January 25, 2015
- Julia Roberts bringing Batkid to the big screen - January 24, 2015
- Eli Roth releases Knock Knock teaser - January 24, 2015