At the WonderCon panel for “Pacific Rim” today, director Guillermo Del Toro fielded a question about his upcoming [anti]superhero project, “Dark Universe” (which he said may end up being retitled “Justice League Dark”), which teams some of DC’s seedier heroes.
Del Toro says the main character in his film will be John Constantine (the character Keanu Reeves played in Francis Lawrence’s “Constantine”), though he’ll have blond hair this time around (as opposed to Keanu’s version), and he’ll be supported by the likes of Swamp Thing, the Demon, Deadman, the Spectre and Zatanna.
“He’s basically trying to recuit”, Del Toro says of Constantine.
The film will explore Jason Blood’s history with Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table, and how that’s all got something to do with an imminent modern-day threat.
Del Toro says the film will be different from the ‘other’ “Justice League” in that these guys won’t be showing off their powers in the first reel of the film.
“We get to their origins through their story we don’t start with the origin story at the top. Swamp Thing is at peace with who he is, but Deadman has to find out who shot him. My two favorite characters in the DC universe were Etrigan and Swamp Thing growing up.”
It’s anyone’s guess when the movie will happen, but Del Toro says he has written a “bible” for the film and hopes to announce it’s screenwriter soon.
- Will new Ghostbusters include the iconic theme song? - April 16, 2015
- Mann, I wanna see a Ferrari movie! - April 16, 2015
- Universal to remain on the Chris Pratt train - April 16, 2015
- A Kick-Ass director may do Flash Gordon next - April 16, 2015
- Fletch reboot moves studios - April 16, 2015
- Bill Paxton joins Grand Theft Auto - April 15, 2015
- Cary Fukunaga directing The Alienist - April 15, 2015
- Wonder Woman loses MacLaren, Perlman nabs Captain Marvel - April 14, 2015
- Three for the Roald - April 14, 2015
- Trailer : Ant-Man - April 14, 2015