After premiering to lots of oooh’s and aaah’s at this weekend’s WonderCon, Sony has made available the new trailer for “The Mortal Instruments : City of Bones” online. The studio has also unveiled three new posters for the film, the first in the book cum film series.
Unlike, say, “I Am Number Four” and “The Host”, the footage screened at WonderCon suggested a movie not only much more loyal to it’s source material but one that had managed to take the best bits of the book and condense them effectively – rather than just slapping together a rushed, stitched-up version of the novel together. Most of all, it seems to be a film that will appeal beyond it’s literary fans (it was mentioned at the panel that the film will appeal to ‘guys’ – which most films of a similar ilk don’t – describing it more in the vein of an “Indiana Jones” movie than something like “Twilight”).
“Mortal Instruments” has a good cast backing it – names like Kevin Durand (from “Lost”), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (“The Tudors”), “Mad Men” star Jared Harris, and “Game of Thrones” vet Lena Headey occupy the credits- but I think it’ll be Kevin Zegers who walks away from the film a star. It’s been a long time coming for Zegers, who we all remember as the dog’s best friend in the original “Air Bud” movie. The jury is still out on Lily Collins, but likely only because she’s failed to impress in much so far. Let’s wait til August.
Here’s the trailer and the posters.
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know…
- First look : The Man from U.N.C.L.E - December 22, 2014
- Mark Hamill on his Trickster reprisal - December 22, 2014
- Kate Winslet’s next Job may be with Boyle - December 21, 2014
- Two new posters come into Focus - December 21, 2014
- Mike Myers resurrects Dr. Evil - December 21, 2014
- ‘Ross’ from Friends defends O.J Simpson - December 21, 2014
- First look at Chewbacca from Star Wars : The Force Awakens - December 19, 2014
- Sony, Rodriguez team for Fire and Ice franchise - December 19, 2014
- David Fincher has two TV gigs in the works - December 19, 2014
- New Pics : Daredevil, Crimson Peak, Jurassic World - December 19, 2014