TRON will be ROMing the multiplex again soon.
“TRON Legacy” director Joseph Kosinski spoke in linux to the press this weekend at WonderCon and revealed his follow-up is two weeks away from a draft (script, that is); the progress suggests the film mightn’t be too far away from going before the cameras.
“This is a story we’ve been working on since 2009, so that’s four years now”, the “Oblivion” director said, according to Collider. “I’m really excited about the idea that we have for it. I think it delivers on the promise that both TRON movies have made. It opens the movie up, in a way that I think is going to give it a much broader appeal. Whereas TRON really, ultimately, in the end, catered most to TRON fans, this idea broadens it some more, in really exciting ways. But, it’s all about the script and making sure that that story is compelling enough to get all of us back together. Those movies are hard to make. It’s a two-and-a-half to three-year journey. So, to go back in there and go back to the Grid, it’s going to have to be a pretty spectacular script. We’ve got a great writer on it, so we’ll see.”
Kosinski, who says he has a cool title in mind for the film, suggests this one will have a wider appeal than “TRON Legacy”? One can only assume that means a) they’re bringing in Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to reinvigorate the franchise or b) It’s a complete reboot, and Daniel Craig’s currently brushing up on his computer-jargon, to play Flynn.
All [bad] jokes aside, “Tron 3″ will likely bring back “Tron Legacy” castmembers Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner and Cillian Murphy. They missed out on the last one, for some inexplicable reason, so here’s hoping there’s room for Yori (Cindy Morgan) and Dillinger (David Warner) in this next one, too!
(Kosinski’s latest film “Oblivion” is a Tom Cruise vehicle. Is there a chance Cruise might turn up on the grid!?).
- Exclusive : McKay talks Lego Movie sequel - March 25, 2014
- Zombie shooter gets himself some Hot Wheels - October 18, 2013
- 10 Breaking Bits - May 30, 2013
- Three Days to Kill skedded for February release - May 29, 2013
- Universal rebooting Timecop - May 23, 2013
- Trailer and Poster for Byzantium - May 22, 2013
- Good Morning Shanghai! Barry Levinson directs Cursed Piano - May 22, 2013
- MH talks to The Great Gatsby‘s Joel Edgerton - May 5, 2013
- Joel Edgerton - May 5, 2013
- Set-Visit Interviews : The Great Gatsby - May 2, 2013