With “Star Trek Into Darkness” now in cans and on their way to a railway dispatch center near you – Yes, I know, it ain’t exactly done like that anymore. Someone remind me it’s not 1988, will they!? – all focus has, of course, turned to the inevitable sequel….yes, the one that hasn’t even been so much as greenlit yet, let alone written. That’s just how it is in this internet game – you’re only as good as your next.. sequel.
“Oh great, you have a movie out next week? Cool! What’s gonna be in the sequel!?”.
“Wow, that sounds like a great idea for a film! Sequel plans?”.
“Oh! Great! I loved that series as a kid! Can’t wait to see the film! Imagine what you can do with a sequel!”…
On the promotional trail for “Star Trek Into Darkness”, the world’s coolest sight-impaired director with initials where his Christian name should be , was asked, naturally, about the “Into Darkness” sequel and whether or not his commitment to “Star Wars Episode VII” – it, a sequel to “Star Wars : Episode VI” aka “Return of the Jedi” – will prevent him from helming it. Lots of umm’s and aaah’s, to be expected, in JJ Abrams’ response.
But, of course, Abrams wasn’t the only one asked about the inevitable “Star Trek III : The Search for Greg Grunberg’s Voice-over cameo” – or whatever they call it – essentially anyone connected to the film, out doing PR for it, has also fielded questions about the next one.
And then there are the rumours – they’re those things that buzz around the unwashed sheets at the moment and bite you on the pink bits, leaving you raw and confused and searching for answers.
Here are 10 things we know, so far (and it’s early days!), about “Star Trek 3″.
1. Paramount want “Star Trek 3″ out in 2016 – they don’t want another four-year gap between Enterprise jaunts. Says screenwriter Roberto Orci, “They are firm about having a movie out by the 50th anniversary [in 2016] and we are all trying to see if we can all make it work together.” (TrekMovie)
2. It’s unlikely J.J Abrams will direct the next one – he’s too busy with the other science-fiction franchise he has gotten himself involved in. Writer Damon Lindelof says “I think we have to fundamentally accept that JJ is not going to direct this [next Star Trek] movie, although I wouldn’t rule anything out. And if Star Wars is indeed coming out in the summer of 2015, unless the cloning technology that I am not fully aware of exists it is going to be tough.” (TrekMovie)
3. A ‘Trekkie’ may direct “Star Trek 3″ – as he/she should. “JJ is such a unique talent that finding someone who does what he does is next to impossible”, says Lindelof. “So I think what step one is: find someone who has a passion for Trek and a passion for these two movies and a vision for what comes next.” Um… George Lucas, maybe? (TrekMovie)
4. J.J Abrams won’t be departing the “Trek” universe completely; the Bad Robot head honcho says he’s sticking around to produce the film – at the very least. “No matter what if there is a third film Bad Robot and I will be producing the film, so we’ll definitely be involved in it.” (The Belfast Telegraph)
5. Work has begun on “Star Trek 3″.. but not a lot of work. Some story lines are being tossed about, Paramount are double checking the cast’s contracts to make sure they’re indeed all contracted to do another (they are, don’t worry – Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and cast all signed for three), and the brass are pressuring the creatives to commit to something.. so they can begin a press release.
6. The film might potentially pit Starfleet against the Klingons, as hinted in “Star Trek Into Darkness”. “You can never see enough Klingons, and I think in this film we’ve given the audience a little taste, but there’s also the promise that there’s a larger conflict on the horizon, and that would be fun to see”, says Lindelof. (Bleeding Cool)
7. Might Benedict Cumberbatch’s ‘John Harrison’ return for the next one? A careful Lindelof says “To answer that question would be to determine whether or not he actually survived the movie, but if he survives this movie, I think we would be incredibly stupid to not see him again.”
8. At this stage, it doesn’t look like William Shatner will be reprising Kirk [Sigh]. “Shatner? [sighs] I haven’t spoken with him in a long time, but I did read something where he gave me a fantastic underhanded compliment”, says JJ Abrams. “Something like our movie was a fun action ride and maybe one day it’ll have heart. A great compliment only to pull the rug out in a way that only Shatner can do. I adore him.” As for Leonard Nimoy reprising Spock Prime? Good chance, I’d say. (Playboy)
9. It mightn’t be something that’s planned for “Trek 3″, but down the line there may be some links to “The Next Generation”. Says Lindelof, ” You can’t talk about Trek and not talk about the Borg, and certainly about Q. Very iconic adversaries from The Next Generation which is, outside of the original cast films, was my entry way into Star Trek, so I wouldn’t mind getting – towards the end of our run on Star Trek, maybe baby Picard could be born. There has to be some sort of crossover we’re not thinking of.” (HeyUGuys)
10. Alice Eve is all but a certainty to reprise her role – I don’t want to say the name of her character, it’s somewhat of a spoiler – for the next installment. Me. No.Complain
- Olsens talk Fuller House – will they do it? - April 25, 2015
- Batman injured; Goodbye cancelled - April 25, 2015
- SNL alum joins Zoolander 2 - April 25, 2015
- First Look : Jared Leto as The Joker! - April 25, 2015
- Some new Terminator : Genisys TV spots - April 25, 2015
- Another Avenger joins Captain America : Civil War - April 24, 2015
- Zach Galligan, Gremlins reboot is calling! - April 24, 2015
- Trailer : Area 51 - April 24, 2015
- Trailer : The Visit - April 24, 2015
- Production kicks off on Evil Dead series - April 24, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.