1. Sony Pictures Entertainment has won the exclusive worldwide distribution rights to the eagerly anticipated ”Angry Birds” animated film, making it one of the most high-profile deals of the year. The 3D film is being developed, produced, and financed by Rovio Entertainment and will be released worldwide by Sony Pictures on July 1, 2016.
2. “1600 Penn” star Josh Gad has joined the cast of Zach Braff’s “Wish I Was Here”, which has also just been fully funded. (Deadline)
3. Spoof duo Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer (“Meet the Spartans”, “Epic Movie”) are back with a piss-take of the “Fast & Furious” franchise called “Super Fast!” (Deadline)
4. “American Pie” alum Seann William Scott will star in “Guidance”, “the story of a down-on-his-luck high school counselor who begins to alter transcripts to help a student that reminds him of himself.” “Iron Man” co-star Leslie Bibb is also onboard.
5. “Shattered Glass” director Billy Ray will direct “Departure”. “Based on the true story of a never-explained avionic phenomenon, Departure follows a brilliant Miami-based FAA investigator who is obsessed with learning how a 727 suddenly vanished into thin air and then reappeared in the exact same spot ten minutes later. As mysterious occurrences continue to occur with increasing frequency in the skies over Miami, the investigation becomes personal when the employee’s beloved wife is on one of the planes affected.” (Deadline)
6. Philip Seymour Hoffman will headline actor John Slattery’s directorial debut “God’s Pocket”. Slattery adapted the screenplay with Alex Metcalf from the novel by National Book Award Winning author Pete Dexter. Academy Award®-nominee Richard Jenkins, Emmy Award®-nominee Christina Hendricks and award winning actor John Turturro will co-star. Jay Cohen of Gersh will handle all film sales. Park Pictures Features will produce the film in partnership with Hoffman’s Cooper’s Town Productions and Slattery’s Shoestring Pictures, which makes its producing debut with this film. Acclaimed director/cinematographer Lance Acord has signed on to shoot the film, which will be produced by Sam Bisbee, Jackie Kelman Bisbee, Slattery, Lance Acord and Galt Niederhoffer, for Park Pictures and Emily Ziff and Hoffman for Cooper’s Town. The film will be executive produced by Wendy Neu and White Hat Entertainment’s Danny Rifkin, Tom Valerio, Rick Rifkin and Bill Perry. Sara Murphy of Cooper’s Town will co-produce, with Theodora Dunlap and Erika Hampson of Park Pictures Features. Set in the gritty blue-collar neighborhood of God’s Pocket, Mickey’s crazy stepson Leon is killed in a construction ‘accident’ and Mickey quickly tries to bury the bad news with the body. But when a local columnist comes sniffing around for the truth, things go from bad to worse. Mickey finds himself stuck in a life and death struggle between a body he can’t bury, a wife he can’t please and a debt he can’t pay.Producer Sam Bisbee commented, “We are thrilled to have Philip Seymour Hoffman and this incredible cast onboard to help us bring John Slattery’s beautiful film to life.” Emily Ziff and Sara Murphy said in a joint statement, “God’s Pocket is our kind of film. We at Cooper’s Town have long been fans of John Slattery’s work and Phil is honored to be a part of telling this one-of-a-kind story.”
7. Bradley Cooper has committed to starring in the John Wells flick “Chef”, while a Cease and Decist has gone out to stop Jon Favreau’s similar-themed film of the same name from coming to fruition. (Deadline)
8. The red-band trailer for V/H/S 2 has been released :
9. Samuel L.Jackson joins Hailee Steinfeld in Kyle Newman’s “Barely Legal” (Variety)
10. Louis Letterier is in talks to direct a Luc Besson produced film called “Sea at War” (Variety)