When Disney and Lucasfilm – king decision-makers on the franchise from here on out now that George Lucas has retired – announced they’d be canning Cartoon Network’s “Star Wars : The Clone Wars”, fans were left wondering when and where they might next get their cartoon ‘Wars fix.
Announced today, “Star Wars Rebels”, set between episodes 3 and 4 of the series, will launch Fall 2014.
“I think ‘Star Wars Rebels’ will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about ‘Star Wars,'” Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said in a statement.
“Star Wars Rebels” will premiere on the Disney channel then the rest of the series will be rolled out on the Disney XD canal.
”Star Wars Rebels” takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point.
Simon Kinberg, Dave Filoni, and Greg Weisman will executive produce, with “X-Men : First Class” scribe Kinberg writing the pilot.
This should give fans something to look forward to while they wait with sweaty anticipation for “Star Wars Episode VII”, which hits the big screen in 2015.
Here’s a video introduction to “Star Wars Rebels”.
- Veronica Mars star has a Rocky future - December 17, 2014
- Who is Star Wars’ Captain Phasma!? - December 17, 2014
- Orlando Bloom back for Pirates 5? - December 17, 2014
- Reboot of The Craft in the works? - December 16, 2014
- Spielberg selects BFG‘s Sophie - December 16, 2014
- Mad Men alum joins Cameron Crowe series - December 16, 2014
- Heche, Riggle join Topher Grace musical - December 16, 2014
- More Batman v Superman spoilers! - December 16, 2014
- J.Jonah Jameson vs. King Kong - December 16, 2014
- Finally! McDonald’s movie in the works - December 11, 2014