Who doesn’t love Richard Linklater’s 1994 comedy “Dazed & Confused”!? It’s a vivacious gem of all, memorable for so many reasons (that ‘bat’ scene especially!)… and after all, it introduced us to the adorable Rory Cochrane! (and let’s not forget a couple of then-unknown beaus named Matthew McConaughey and Ben Affleck!). Besides that, it was just a very entertaining, very enjoyable film.
Any fan of the “Before Sunrise” trilogy knows Linklater tends to take his time in conceiving sequels to his films – there’s ‘years’ between each of the “Before” films – so no surprise that the idea of a “Dazed & Confused” sequel, twenty years after the release of the first, is still viable.
Linklater, participating in a Q&A on Reddit, says the semi-sequel to “Dazed” (at one stage said to be called “That’s What I’m Talking About”) might go before the cameras this year.
”Hoping to make it this fall, actually. A college comedy. I feel like mixing it up with a big ensemble.”
The filmmaker, out promoting “Before Midnight”, doesn’t expand on that.
Linklater has been flirting with the idea of doing some sort of “spiritual” sequel to “Dazed & Confused” for a few years now, but couldn’t get financing. Seems as though he’s had some luck in that department lately and that someone with dollars has taken to his idea of a film about a group of kids starting college in the year of 1980. Good news!
Bear in mind, Linklater’s film is said to only be a “spiritual” or “semi” sequel – two words being thrown about for it – so there’s no guarantee we’ll see any of the faces from the earlier film. If Linklater does decide to have any of the cast reprise their roles from “Dazed & Confused” though, he’s definitely got some good names to pick from and some who have aged rather well; in addition to Cochrane, Affleck, and McConaughey, the movie also featured the likes of Milla Jovovich, Joey Lauren Adams, Adam Goldberg, Parker Posey, Jason London and Cole Hauser.
Hopefully we’ll hear more on the long-gestating “Dazed” follow-up soon!
- Will new Ghostbusters include the iconic theme song? - April 16, 2015
- Mann, I wanna see a Ferrari movie! - April 16, 2015
- Universal to remain on the Chris Pratt train - April 16, 2015
- A Kick-Ass director may do Flash Gordon next - April 16, 2015
- Fletch reboot moves studios - April 16, 2015
- Bill Paxton joins Grand Theft Auto - April 15, 2015
- Cary Fukunaga directing The Alienist - April 15, 2015
- Wonder Woman loses MacLaren, Perlman nabs Captain Marvel - April 14, 2015
- Three for the Roald - April 14, 2015
- Trailer : Ant-Man - April 14, 2015