A reboot of the “Timecop” film franchise is in the works, but Jean-Claude Van Damme won’t be in the driver’s seat of the time-machine for the return trip.
The Hollywood Reporter says the long-gestating redo (we’ve reported on it on Moviehole a few times over the years, I see) of the 1994 Van Damme vehicle – it itself based on the Dark Horse comic series of the same name – is showing signs of life, with Universal getting behind the project. Marc Shmuger will produce the film via his Universal-based Global Produce banner alongside Tom McNulty.
The new film is designed to be a complete overhaul of the film franchise, so aside from the name – and likely the lead character – there’ll be no links to earlier “Timecop” movies (“Timecop”, one of Van Damme’s most successful films, spawned a short-lived TV series and direct-to-video sequel, starring Jason Scott Lee)
A writer is currently being sought for the project.
- Exclusive : McKay talks Lego Movie sequel - March 25, 2014
- Zombie shooter gets himself some Hot Wheels - October 18, 2013
- 10 Breaking Bits - May 30, 2013
- Three Days to Kill skedded for February release - May 29, 2013
- Universal rebooting Timecop - May 23, 2013
- Trailer and Poster for Byzantium - May 22, 2013
- Good Morning Shanghai! Barry Levinson directs Cursed Piano - May 22, 2013
- MH talks to The Great Gatsby‘s Joel Edgerton - May 5, 2013
- Joel Edgerton - May 5, 2013
- Set-Visit Interviews : The Great Gatsby - May 2, 2013