Matthew Rhys, of TV’s “The Americans”, is playing the dashing Mr Darcy in the BBC’s genre-shifting “Pride & Prejudice” follow-up, “Death Comes to Pemberly”, based on the book by P.D James.
James’ book centers on three of Austen’s most iconic characters: Elizabeth Bennet, Fitzwilliam Darcy and George Wickham. Anna Maxwell Martin plays Elizabeth, while Matthew Goode (“Burning Man”) plays Wickham.
Deadline says, “the story picks up six years into Elizabeth and Darcy’s marriage as they prepare for the annual ball at their magnificent Pemberley home. When Elizabeth’s wayward sister Lydia arrives, she brings a shocking halt to the proceedings. A murder investigation unfolds and a web of secrets and deceit threatens all that the Darcys hold dear. Juliette Towhidi (Calendar Girls) did the adaptation which will be directed by Daniel Percival (Crossing Lines).”
Rhys said it’ll be hard to top Colin Firth’s iconic performance as Darcy in the original BBC mini-series “Pride & Prejudice”, but that he’s also playing a different variation of Elizabeth’s beloved.
“Exciting as it is, one of the challenges of a part such as Darcy are the comparisons that will be drawn to those who’ve institutionalized him in the past. The beauty of Pemberly is that it is an entirely new and different Darcy 6 years on… And also, I don’t have to appear from a lake in a white shirt and breeches.”
The three-part serial is expected to run during the end-of-year holidays.
- Will new Ghostbusters include the iconic theme song? - April 16, 2015
- Mann, I wanna see a Ferrari movie! - April 16, 2015
- Universal to remain on the Chris Pratt train - April 16, 2015
- A Kick-Ass director may do Flash Gordon next - April 16, 2015
- Fletch reboot moves studios - April 16, 2015
- Bill Paxton joins Grand Theft Auto - April 15, 2015
- Cary Fukunaga directing The Alienist - April 15, 2015
- Wonder Woman loses MacLaren, Perlman nabs Captain Marvel - April 14, 2015
- Three for the Roald - April 14, 2015
- Trailer : Ant-Man - April 14, 2015