While the film he was originally going to make his directorial debut, “Promised Land” has hit DVD – and is likely already being sold, traded, and swapped (it was a good film, just not an easy market so it didn’t do too well), Matt Damon seems to have settled on a piece called “The Foreigner” to cut his directing teeth on.
“The Foreigner”, says Deadline, is based on an April 4, 2008 New Yorker article “A Murder Foretold” by David Grann, and would detail “corruption and a series of high-level murders in Guatemala that reached all the way to the country’s president. The whole thing broke open at the funeral of Rodrigo Rosenberg when a videotape was circulated that implicated the president, his wife, and other close aides in the wealthy businessman’s killing.”
Good folks involved in the thing, from screenwriter Chris Terrio (“Argo”) and in-demand Steve Zaillian, whose producing.
This sounds like a much better fit for Damon to make his directorial debut on. As I said, “Promised Land” wasn’t the type of attention-grabbing film he needs to make for his debut as a filmmaker.
But just on the aforesaid discussion, I, out of interest, had a look-see around the net to see if “Promised Land” is going cheap yet, or being traded on various DVD swap or retailer websites, and it is – so why not grab it? It’s actually quite a good film, the story was written by John Krasinski (“The Office”) and he co-stars alongside Damon. The Oscar Winning “Good Will Hunting” scribe was going to direct the film at one stage, but dropped out at the 11th hour – suggesting Gus Van Sant take over. As I said, it’s not a huge movie, and it’s definitely not an easy market (which might explain why it’s already being traded and sold cheaper than most titles), but it’s worth a watch. It’s one of those ‘part history lesson, part entertainment’ movies.
- First look at Chewbacca from Star Wars : The Force Awakens - December 19, 2014
- Sony, Rodriguez team for Fire and Ice franchise - December 19, 2014
- David Fincher has two TV gigs in the works - December 19, 2014
- New Pics : Daredevil, Crimson Peak, Jurassic World - December 19, 2014
- Amanda Waller part cast in Suicide Squad - December 18, 2014
- Andy Serkis talks his Star Wars characters - December 18, 2014
- Veronica Mars star has a Rocky future - December 17, 2014
- Who is Star Wars’ Captain Phasma!? - December 17, 2014
- Orlando Bloom back for Pirates 5? - December 17, 2014
- Reboot of The Craft in the works? - December 16, 2014