Tommy Lee Jones will write and direct a remake of the 1972 western “The Cowboys”, says Variety.
The veteran thesp, who recently directed the film “The Homesman”, isn’t noted as being part of the cast, but we can hold out hope.
The original film starred legendary lasso-wielder John Wayne and an up-and-comer named… Bruce Dern.
TimeOut says of the original :
Offbeat and intriguing Western, with Wayne as a cattle driver who, deserted when his cowhands head off to a gold-rush, gathers together eleven schoolboys to help him get his herd to market. En route they are easy prey for villains; meanwhile, Wayne introduces them to the joys of shooting, drinking, whoring and killing. Although the film is well performed and beautifully shot by Robert Surtees, its ideology is highly objectionable, celebrating as it does the turning of the boys into hardened killers. Interesting to compare to The Shootist, in which young Ron Howard’s desire to emulate the skills of his hero, an ageing gunfighter (Wayne again) is criticised at every turn.
- Still Alice - January 25, 2015
- Trailer : She’s Funny That Way - January 25, 2015
- Brooke’s Top 5 Must See Movies of 2015 - January 25, 2015
- Hateful Eight : More cast, Production begins - January 25, 2015
- The Crow : Evans walks, Hardy talks - January 25, 2015
- New Star Wars standalone film spoilers! - January 25, 2015
- Tyrese Gibson lobbying for Green Lantern - January 25, 2015
- First look at The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio - January 25, 2015
- Julia Roberts bringing Batkid to the big screen - January 24, 2015
- Eli Roth releases Knock Knock teaser - January 24, 2015