Australian Garth Davis, director of the superlative series “Top of the Lake”, has been tapped to direct the long-gestating feature adaptation of Gregory David Roberts novel “Shantaram”.
Davis’s fellow countryman Joel Edgerton stars in the flick, with Johnny Depp – who was originally set to play the lead, but this was a few years ago – producing.
The WB venture would star Edgerton (“Animal Kingdom”, “The Thing”) “as an Australian heroin addict who escapes a maximum-security prison, reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of India and eventually uses gun-running and counterfeiting skills to fight against the invading Russian troops in Afghanistan”, according to Deadline, who have the scoop on Davis coming aboard.
Eric Roth wrote the script.
- Still Alice - January 25, 2015
- Trailer : She’s Funny That Way - January 25, 2015
- Brooke’s Top 5 Must See Movies of 2015 - January 25, 2015
- Hateful Eight : More cast, Production begins - January 25, 2015
- The Crow : Evans walks, Hardy talks - January 25, 2015
- New Star Wars standalone film spoilers! - January 25, 2015
- Tyrese Gibson lobbying for Green Lantern - January 25, 2015
- First look at The Revenant starring Leonardo DiCaprio - January 25, 2015
- Julia Roberts bringing Batkid to the big screen - January 24, 2015
- Eli Roth releases Knock Knock teaser - January 24, 2015