Australian Garth Davis, director of the superlative series “Top of the Lake”, has been tapped to direct the long-gestating feature adaptation of Gregory David Roberts novel “Shantaram”.
Davis’s fellow countryman Joel Edgerton stars in the flick, with Johnny Depp – who was originally set to play the lead, but this was a few years ago – producing.
The WB venture would star Edgerton (“Animal Kingdom”, “The Thing”) “as an Australian heroin addict who escapes a maximum-security prison, reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of India and eventually uses gun-running and counterfeiting skills to fight against the invading Russian troops in Afghanistan”, according to Deadline, who have the scoop on Davis coming aboard.
Eric Roth wrote the script.
- Will new Ghostbusters include the iconic theme song? - April 16, 2015
- Mann, I wanna see a Ferrari movie! - April 16, 2015
- Universal to remain on the Chris Pratt train - April 16, 2015
- A Kick-Ass director may do Flash Gordon next - April 16, 2015
- Fletch reboot moves studios - April 16, 2015
- Bill Paxton joins Grand Theft Auto - April 15, 2015
- Cary Fukunaga directing The Alienist - April 15, 2015
- Wonder Woman loses MacLaren, Perlman nabs Captain Marvel - April 14, 2015
- Three for the Roald - April 14, 2015
- Trailer : Ant-Man - April 14, 2015