Australian Garth Davis, director of the superlative series “Top of the Lake”, has been tapped to direct the long-gestating feature adaptation of Gregory David Roberts novel “Shantaram”.
Davis’s fellow countryman Joel Edgerton stars in the flick, with Johnny Depp – who was originally set to play the lead, but this was a few years ago – producing.
The WB venture would star Edgerton (“Animal Kingdom”, “The Thing”) “as an Australian heroin addict who escapes a maximum-security prison, reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of India and eventually uses gun-running and counterfeiting skills to fight against the invading Russian troops in Afghanistan”, according to Deadline, who have the scoop on Davis coming aboard.
Eric Roth wrote the script.
- Veronica Mars star has a Rocky future - December 17, 2014
- Who is Star Wars’ Captain Phasma!? - December 17, 2014
- Orlando Bloom back for Pirates 5? - December 17, 2014
- Reboot of The Craft in the works? - December 16, 2014
- Spielberg selects BFG‘s Sophie - December 16, 2014
- Mad Men alum joins Cameron Crowe series - December 16, 2014
- Heche, Riggle join Topher Grace musical - December 16, 2014
- More Batman v Superman spoilers! - December 16, 2014
- J.Jonah Jameson vs. King Kong - December 16, 2014
- Finally! McDonald’s movie in the works - December 11, 2014