We can now expect to see ’50 Shades of Grey’ on our big screens on February 13, 2015.
The highly anticipated feature was due for release on August 1, 2014 but Universal Pictures has shifted the date to Valentine’s Day weekend.
Why? Perhaps for a number of reasons:
A change of casting saw Charlie Hunnam replaced by Jamie Dornan for the lead role of Christian Grey. Hunnam’s unexpected resignation from the project prompted expectations of a delay.
These expectations proved reality when, days after Dornan’s casting, it was announced that production would begin in early-December 2013, as opposed to the original plan of November.
However Universal was reviewing the film’s release date regardless of the loss of Charlie Hunnam. The move will see ’50 Shades’ burst into cinemas over Valentine’s Day weekend. No doubt execs are expecting the film to set up a date night to remember.
Also contributing to the move is the packed line up already set for the summer release date next year. Had it been released in August 2014, ’50 Shades’ would have had to compete with giants such as Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’.
Internationally, August will also be a very busy month next year, with many studios pushing other release dates out from June/July to August, in a bid to avoid competition with the World Cup in Brazil.
Universal Pictures Chairperson Donna Langley told Entertainment Weekly: “We see this movie as a global event. The strength of this book is really worldwide, so we want to be able to take advantage of women who are invariably on vacation with their families during the month of August in Europe.”
’50 Shades of Grey’ will be directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson (Nowhere Boy) for Focus Features. The film will star Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey and Dakota Johnson as Anastasia Steele.
- JoAnna Garcia Swisher nabs female lead in CBS pilot - February 28, 2015
- Elisabeth Rohm joins Jennifer Lawrence starer - February 28, 2015
- Bruce Lee’s daughter plans biopic about her father - February 28, 2015
- Robert Townsend will helm the latest Brewster’s Millions adaptation - February 28, 2015
- Why James Franco? - February 28, 2015
- Kristen Stewart is a lawyer in indie drama - February 28, 2015
- Adventure Time coming to the big screen - February 28, 2015
- First pic of Eddie Redmayne as a woman - February 28, 2015
- iZombie poster is as gory as its predecessors - February 28, 2015
- Two Bates Motel videos tease season 3 - February 28, 2015
Hawthorn Football Club
Smelly Cat by Phoebe Buffay And The Hairballs
The Hunger Games series
Against the Current
People who emphasize the BE in a statement
People keeping their bare feet to themselves.