Fans of “The Hobbit” can finally get a full glimpse of the Dragon Smaug. How? On the side of an aeroplane.
That’s right, Weta Digital (“Hobbit” director Peter Jackson’s visual effects company) has created the image of the Dragon Smaug on both sides of an Air New Zealand Boeing 737 plane.
The 54-metre-long Smaug was unveiled today in New Zealand and tomorrow the aircraft will begin its journey from Auckland to Los Angeles, where it will arrive for “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” premiere.
The plane’s reveal marks the first time that viewers have got a full look at the dragon. Fans only glimpsed the beast’s eye in the first “Hobbit” film and the trailer for the latest addition leaves Smaug tantalisingly hidden.
Jackson dubbed the project awe inspiring.
“To see Smaug fly off the big screen and into the skies like this is pretty exciting,” he said. “We’re proud to debut him here in New Zealand, where our team has worked so hard to bring him to life.”
Eric Saindon, visual effects supervisor of Weta Digital, said bringing Smaug to life on the plane wasn’t an easy task.
“Capturing Smaug’s presence and the amazing detail in his design while accommodating the windows, doors and wing shape was quite a different experience for us,” he said.
“It was great to see Smaug brought to life, and he appears even larger in the film!”
This is not the first Air New Zealand plane to be adorned with “The Hobbit” livery. At the release of the first film, “The Hobbit: And Unexpected Journey”, another aircraft was also decorated with images of characters and settings from the film.
- Youtubers Hannah Hart & Grace Helbig are Legendary superheros - February 27, 2015
- Arrow – Flash spinoff in the works - February 27, 2015
- Jack Huston wanted for The Crow remake - February 27, 2015
- Harrison Ford to star in Blade Runner sequel from Prisoners director - February 27, 2015
- Riley Keough to star in The Girlfriend Experience - February 27, 2015
- Thunderbirds Are Go in new pics - February 27, 2015
- Eddie Redmayne is Thomas’ newest friend - February 27, 2015
- Daredevil pics & motion poster - February 27, 2015
- Chris Pratt in Jurassic World images - February 27, 2015
- Trailer: A Little Chaos - February 27, 2015
Hawthorn Football Club
Smelly Cat by Phoebe Buffay And The Hairballs
The Hunger Games series
Against the Current
People who emphasize the BE in a statement
People keeping their bare feet to themselves.