I know, going for a very hard hitting topic for my end of year list, but while it might be true that taglines are often forgotten or *cough* not even noticed to begin with, let us remember the impact of the original “Star Wars” tagline ‘A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...’ And the disaster of a tagline for “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” ‘It’s the coolest job in the world’ that was pretty much blamed for the entire film’s underperformance. Do kids want to watch a film about a job? Turns out, nope.
So, here are my thoughts on a few of this year’s crop, followed by a new inductee into Moviehole’s Tagline Hall of Fame (so prestigious no one’s ever gotten one before…also there’s no actual prize).
[tps_header]A Mandy Moment : Reviewing the Movie Taglines of 2013[/tps_header]
Tagline: Some see what’s possible, others change what’s possible
Review: Like the film, this tagline was probably going for ‘inspirational’ but comes across as messy and disjointed. What does this mean? Did Jobs do amazing things other than those iThings we already know about? ARE YOU SAYING STEVE JOBS WAS BETTER THAN ME?
Recommendation: See if Ashton Kutcher can actually act*
- TV Review: Arrow 3.10 (Photo Recap) - January 24, 2015
- Mandy chats to Russell Crowe at The Water Diviner premiere - December 11, 2014
- Kosta Ouzas, Nick Kozakis – Plague - November 22, 2014
- TV REVIEW: ARROW 3.5 (PHOTO RECAP) - November 9, 2014
- TV REVIEW: ARROW 3.4 (PHOTO RECAP) - November 9, 2014
- Rich Sommer – Mad Men - October 25, 2014
- Logan Lerman – Fury - October 22, 2014
- A Mandy Moment ode to Dredd - October 2, 2014
- Nadir Caselli – Lavazza Italian Film Festival - September 23, 2014
- Step Up All In - September 13, 2014
The Princess Bride
A good wine
Clint's Nicolas Cage impersonation