Kristen Bell loses Veronica’s long-range lens for her latest venture, a film that’s about as flashy as a generation 4iphone but offers a beautifully clear representation of the blonde starlet’s versatility.
In what serves as a perfect actors access demo reel for the TV fave, Bell frowns and frolics through the motions of a messed-up almost-30 year-old lifeguard – at a small neighborhood pool – who, in between trying to figure out where she’s going in life, falls for a teenage pool patron.
Writer/director Liz W.Garcia’s quiet, sometimes slightly sluggish drama is reasonably-engaging coming-of-30 story combined with taboo-relationship flick. As all that, it kinda works. But it works much better as a show-reel for an actress to show us what she’s made of. “The Lifeguard”, I guess you could say, is the cinematic equivalent of having a thesp walk out onto a stage and deliver a long monologue in front of a cold audience. And Ms Bell, you delivered it well.
DVD : (Unpreviewed)
- Lively, Clarke set for Forster’s All I See is You - February 27, 2015
- Sands files Minority Report - February 27, 2015
- Blomkamp’s statement on Alien plans misconstrued - February 27, 2015
- Routh gets Lost, West in the Money - February 26, 2015
- Billy Lynn nabs Alwyn, eyes Hedlund - February 26, 2015
- Spidey could remain Peter Parker after all - February 26, 2015
- Virginia Madsen to experience Joy - February 26, 2015
- Voges, Zombie reunite for 31 - February 26, 2015
- Schwarzenegger back for Terminator 6 - February 26, 2015
- When does the next Star Wars trailer hit? - February 26, 2015
Against the Current - the band, not adventures in dangerous swimming 101
Zedd - If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? (Well, answer my question!)
Arrow (Okay, Felicity from Arrow!)
Chrissy Costanza (cat eyes and buttery lyrics!)
Girls (TV) (Okay, Allison Williams!)
Movies - especially when they play in the dark.
Twin Peaks (TV)
Friends (TV) (It had me at "No way are you cool enough to pull Clint"; damn straight, Chandler!)
Traveling - preferably where water is, so I can splash someone!
Star Wars trilogy - no, the other one, fella!
Alex G - far more talented than her younger brother Alex H
Cameron Crowe movies - Say Anything..., Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous
The sign 'Free Wi-Fi'.
Reenacting dance/song scenes from "Grease" with my little girl (hey! Wait till you see my 'Summer Lovin'! - don't judge)
Die Hard - 40 stories of Sheer Adventure!
Alex Goot & Friends (his enemies aren't half as talented!)
Cooking up a nice dish and sitting in the entertainment area, on a cool night, basking in it's greatness.
Inflatable kids pools full of Vodka Lime Crush.
Acidic Email from angry, over passionate teenagers after I trash something "Twilight"-related on the site. Sparkle elsewhere.
My baby girl's big, caring heart.