Actor James Avery, best known for his role as Judge Philip Banks on TVs “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, has passed away, age 68.
The actor died from complications from open heart surgery in Glendale, his manager and publicist confirm.
“Fresh Prince” co-star Alfonso Ribeiro broke the news of Avery’s death on Facebook, saying “The world has lost a truly special man. I am very saddened to say that James Avery has passed. Even though he played my father on TV, he was a wonderful father figure to me in life. He will be deeply missed.”
Avery’s many other credits, aside from Will Smith-starring “Bel-Air”, included “Grey’s Anatomy”, “Harry’s Law” and the animated “Iron Man” series, in which he voiced Rhodey. He recently completed work on Zach Braff’s new film “Wish I Was Here”.
Avery is survived by wife Barbara, whom he been married to for 26 years (awww), mother Florence, and step-son Kevin.
- Trailer : Club Life - April 1, 2015
- Trailer : Unfreedom - April 1, 2015
- Fast & Furious 7 - March 31, 2015
- The Punisher returns for Black Sails - March 25, 2015
- My Name is Earl alum joins Mom - March 14, 2015
- Insurgent track listing - March 3, 2015
- Hawke saddles up for The Magnificent Seven - March 3, 2015
- New Frankenstein series finds it’s monster - March 3, 2015
- From Dusk Till Dawn return date; directors announced - March 3, 2015
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015