Actor James Avery, best known for his role as Judge Philip Banks on TVs “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, has passed away, age 68.
The actor died from complications from open heart surgery in Glendale, his manager and publicist confirm.
“Fresh Prince” co-star Alfonso Ribeiro broke the news of Avery’s death on Facebook, saying “The world has lost a truly special man. I am very saddened to say that James Avery has passed. Even though he played my father on TV, he was a wonderful father figure to me in life. He will be deeply missed.”
Avery’s many other credits, aside from Will Smith-starring “Bel-Air”, included “Grey’s Anatomy”, “Harry’s Law” and the animated “Iron Man” series, in which he voiced Rhodey. He recently completed work on Zach Braff’s new film “Wish I Was Here”.
Avery is survived by wife Barbara, whom he been married to for 26 years (awww), mother Florence, and step-son Kevin.
- Weather report for Florida : Sharknado! - February 20, 2015
- AMC release Mad Men conclusion teaser - February 20, 2015
- Selma - February 8, 2015
- Mann, Baker pick Olive - January 27, 2015
- Constantine coming to the big screen - January 25, 2015
- Will & Grace, Office vets join new Rob Lowe sitcom - January 22, 2015
- The Interview streaming on Crackle, too! - January 22, 2015
- Deadwood fave saddles up for Ray Donovan stint - January 22, 2015
- The Gambler - January 21, 2015
- Julianne Hough to play Sandy in Grease - January 19, 2015