Actor James Avery, best known for his role as Judge Philip Banks on TVs “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”, has passed away, age 68.
The actor died from complications from open heart surgery in Glendale, his manager and publicist confirm.
“Fresh Prince” co-star Alfonso Ribeiro broke the news of Avery’s death on Facebook, saying “The world has lost a truly special man. I am very saddened to say that James Avery has passed. Even though he played my father on TV, he was a wonderful father figure to me in life. He will be deeply missed.”
Avery’s many other credits, aside from Will Smith-starring “Bel-Air”, included “Grey’s Anatomy”, “Harry’s Law” and the animated “Iron Man” series, in which he voiced Rhodey. He recently completed work on Zach Braff’s new film “Wish I Was Here”.
Avery is survived by wife Barbara, whom he been married to for 26 years (awww), mother Florence, and step-son Kevin.
- HBO’s 2015 preview - December 22, 2014
- Merry Christmas Taken fans! - December 17, 2014
- Does Warner have an Aquaman director? - December 15, 2014
- Miami Vice back on the job! - December 15, 2014
- Ryan Gosling for Ghostbusters? - December 15, 2014
- More of Sony’s Spidey plans leak - December 15, 2014
- Old Skywalker talks Star Wars - December 15, 2014
- Kong prequel in 2017, Great Wall movie in 2016 - December 13, 2014
- American Pie duo remaking Japanese horror film - December 13, 2014
- Jennifer Lawrence as a Ghostbuster!? - December 12, 2014